Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spear Fishing

Default Spear Fishing

Does anyone know the legalities of spear fishing for Spriper. I saw a guy shoot a big female and I wonder if that's why we are seeing more big fish at this time of year. He said I was f....up and didn't know what I was talking about. This was just below Watt. And I know it's a grey area, but I would love to know from anyone from you who are affiliated with DFW .
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Meant to say if that is why we are not seeing more
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Bryon,

You hit right on the head. If more and more of these big fish are killed, there will be less and less of them to spawn in the future and further reduce our saddened striper population.

Yes, the American River Parkway has an ordinance against bringing any kind of spear-gun into the park which runs all the way from the mouth of the American all the way to Folsom.

This topic comes up every year when divers show up. The really sad part is these big stripers are NOT good to eat as they're full of mercury which canbe passed on to humans. Divers know this, and will maybe take a "trophy" shot picture, then throw the uneatable carcass in a dumpster. What a waste.

Immediately call and report this to the park rangers. They know it is a sore subject but has to be enforced. If the guy was using a boat be sure to get his CF number with the information. Here's the number to call " 916 875-7275"

It is not illegal in other California waters, but the American River is in a protected zone through-out all of Sacramento county.

Good luck,
    Tony
    Last edited by Tony Buzolich; 07-16-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Bryan, Tony,

Scary part is these assholes managed to spear a surgeon on the Yuba!!! It was swinning around with a rope on it to. My buddy that told me about it said they called for some agency to come out. Cant remember who. But as they where fishing going down river the team was going up river in search of said sturgeon.

I say EFF these assholes!!!! I dont give a crap what excuse they come up with! It needs to be outlawed on the american, feather, and Yuba period! Any clear waters that has anadromous fish in them.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

We’re not seeing more because forage isn’t in the numbers as it used to be, meaning salmon smolt aren’t in the huge numbers due to water management and dams. That’s why you see striper starting to show up in Redding eating trout. They’re invasive and being around for 100 yrs doesn’t make them native. They’re great game fish but invasive nonetheless. If it’s not illegal why harass them? Are you all going to harass conventional anglers because they catch far more numbers than fly guys? We’re all on the same team guys. Big fish need to be taken out of the system as well to keep things balanced. I believe I heard a biologist say the extremely large females stop breeding and become eating machines. Not sure how accurate that is.

I wouldn't engage anybody with a spear gun who looks to be up to no good. Just not worth it. Call the Warden. One of the many reasons you will never catch me on the AR. It seems the further you get away from population base fishing the better quality of people you run into. I've just stuck to this motto and its worked for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    I wouldn't engage anybody with a spear gun who looks to be up to no good. Just not worth it. Call the Warden. One of the many reasons you will never catch me on the AR. It seems the further you get away from population base fishing the better quality of people you run into. I've just stuck to this motto and its worked for me so far.
    Every river has its own yahoos hahahaha! Having fished the coast for a few years now.... I will say I have ran into quite a few weirdos and angry bird type people. But yes when talking to spear guys I would be careful if they get agressive!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I assume most of these guys are illegally accessing the river via the parkway, but if you access by boat i think you can spearfish legally. It's a touch subject. While those that are poaching need to be fined accordingly, those enjoying the form of recreation they choose to conduct LEGALLY it is no business of mine. Peta thinks ant and all.of the activites we enjoy are bad. A similar situation is the long range big game hunting thing. While equipment now allows for precision long range hunting, is it fair chase hunting to shoot an ungulate at 1000yards? Your answer purely comes from your stand point. We all recreate differently. Not to mention they are invasive as well. Just my .02, would love to hear your thoughts on mine...

Quote Originally Posted by TaylerW View Post
    I assume most of these guys are illegally accessing the river via the parkway, but if you access by boat i think you can spearfish legally. It's a touch subject. While those that are poaching need to be fined accordingly, those enjoying the form of recreation they choose to conduct LEGALLY it is no business of mine. Peta thinks ant and all.of the activites we enjoy are bad. A similar situation is the long range big game hunting thing. While equipment now allows for precision long range hunting, is it fair chase hunting to shoot an ungulate at 1000yards? Your answer purely comes from your stand point. We all recreate differently. Not to mention they are invasive as well. Just my .02, would love to hear your thoughts on mine...
    The bottom line is that the initial proposal to allow spearfishing in inland waterways was, unfortunately, not vetted to the extent that it should have been, etc. The proposal went through without much notice or consideration by, I believe, the Fish and Game Commission..... who have probable made other wondrous blunders (and some good decisions) over the decades....

From a common sense point of view, a spear gun is a GUN no different than a crossbow or other weapon that is construed as threatening. It has no place in waterways/parkways considered in a urban/sub-urban area, especially populated areas where people/families-children leisurely recreate. This is just stooopid to even debate. It's just plain common sense in today's times.

The culture of sport fishing in CA is vanishing/being marginalized by the week as CA is on the verge of 40 million people. As a result, it's getting near to where it looks odd to even fish with rod/reel in an urban waterway. Yet, someone with a spear gun can discharge said gun in an urban waterway. It's uncouth..(but so is everything the "me" generation displays on their FB page an there-in lies the real problem...... everything, bad behavior and all, is being justified....... it's not illegal to go up to someone and sneeze in their face, but do you do it anyway?) BTW, I can get cited for discharging a .177 pellet gun in that same urban parkway or worse, be ID as a mass-gunman and get taken out by LEOs.

To substantiate or validate the legalization of spearfishing in inland waters by adding that Striped Bass are invasive is not applicable either. That's an added justification (that word again) to those that oppose anything or initiative that comes in the way of water exports to southward Junior Water right holders, et. al. Beside, there are other more highly efficient methods of reducing the number of an invasive species..... like destroying the habitat they reside in, i.g., the SF Bay and Delta. Oh, that's already being done!

This spearfishing thing has been discussed/debated ad-nauseam and therefore, I do not wish to continue this further as it will not change anything. This discussion only proves just how selfish, divided, and greedy our society behaves today and how far it will go to justify such behavior too. There's no more "right way", just "my way".
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 07-19-2018 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    The bottom line is that the initial proposal to allow spearfishing in inland waterways was, unfortunately, not vetted to the extent that it should have been, etc. The proposal went through without much notice or consideration by, I believe, the Fish and Game Commission..... who have probable made other wondrous blunders (and some good decisions) over the decades....

From a common sense point of view, a spear gun is a GUN no different than a crossbow or other weapon that is construed as threatening. It has no place in waterways/parkways considered in a urban/sub-urban area, especially populated areas where people/families-children leisurely recreate. This is just stooopid to even debate. It's just plain common sense in today's times.

The culture of sport fishing in CA is vanishing/being marginalized by the week as CA is on the verge of 40 million people. As a result, it's getting near to where it looks odd to even fish with rod/reel in an urban waterway. Yet, someone with a spear gun can discharge said gun in an urban waterway. It's uncouth..(but so is everything the "me" generation displays on their FB page an there-in lies the real problem...... everything, bad behavior and all, is being justified....... it's not illegal to go up to someone and sneeze in their face, but do you do it anyway?) BTW, I can get cited for discharging a .177 pellet gun in that same urban parkway or worse, be ID as a mass-gunman and get taken out by LEOs.

To substantiate or validate the legalization of spearfishing in inland waters by adding that Striped Bass are invasive is not applicable either. That's an added justification (that word again) to those that oppose anything or initiative that comes in the way of water exports to southward Junior Water right holders, et. al. Beside, there are other more highly efficient methods of reducing the number of an invasive species..... like destroying the habitat they reside in, i.g., the SF Bay and Delta. Oh, that's already being done!

This spearfishing thing has been discussed/debated ad-nauseam and therefore, I do not wish to continue this further as it will not change anything. This discussion only proves just how selfish, divided, and greedy our society behaves today and how far it will go to justify such behavior too. There's no more "right way", just "my way".

I looked up the regs for spearfishing on the American. It is legal from May 1 to Sept 15 only a mile downstream from Arden. The stretch upstream to the dam is closed to spearfishing. So to Bryan's original question it appears that the shooter was legal if the fish was shot at Watt. If anyone sees someone spearfishing above "a mile below Arden" then they ought to call the warden or ranger. The other stuff related to transport etc is less clear to me.

Why not try and get the regulations changed? It's not written in stone and obviously a bunch of spear fisherman snookered us a few years ago by getting this through the FGC. There would be a lot in favor of banning spearfishing for stripers. 1) Safety. Spearfishing season on the A is also rafting season on the A. Spearguns and rafts are a bad mix. Great visual there. 2) The rule is inconsistent with other regs. There are no other gamefish allowed to be speared in inland waters. 3) Perhaps most importantly there must be a ton more fisherman(and not just fly fisherman) that would favor a ban on spearfishing stripers than there are those in favor. Think the next FGC regs review cycle is 2019.

Gary