Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: West Walker River

Quote Originally Posted by KSB209 View Post
    I figured I was going to get hammered on this board when I mentioned worms. Thats why it took a week to respond about my trip. I wasn’t sure if I should and even tell you all I was drifting worms. With that said I have thick skin.....most of the fishing I do when I plan on releasing is with pinched barbs and a little piece of plastic that keeps the worms/bait on. 90% of the fish come off with out me even touching them and swim away just fine. Anyways I hope to become better with the fly rod for next season.
    Are you using the "Bait Buttons"? Pretty cool little accessory developed by a DDS.

Sorry you had to state your methodologies...... I assumed you knew and practiced best C&R methodologies as possible under the circumstances.

It's great that people get out and fish with rod and reel, any kind of angling rod and reel....... and as long as they haul out what they brought in, i.g., refuse, etc. then all good.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 08-13-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Sunfish...thanks...never knew what they were called...use them all the time on the Smith side trolling for steel

I figured I was going to get hammered on this board when I mentioned worms. Thats why it took a week to respond about my trip. I wasn’t sure if I should and even tell you all I was drifting worms. With that said I have thick skin.....most of the fishing I do when I plan on releasing is with pinched barbs and a little piece of plastic that keeps the worms/bait on. 90% of the fish come off with out me even touching them and swim away just fine. Anyways I hope to become better with the fly rod for next season.
    Don’t let the haters get you down too much. If you want to quickly build your confidence with a fly rod, head to any tributary of the American up Hwy 50, or the North Yuba up Hwy 49. Tie on a size 14 parachute Adams, grease it up, and get ready for a lot of action.

Yes those bait buttons are pretty cool. Make it easy to fish barbless in almost any situation. So far my skills with a fly rod are probably a 5 out of 10 and I do actually practice at the local parks when I can’t make it to the river. Need to take some classes but work and kids keep me busy a lot especially with all their extra curricular activities. DId manage together out Shad fishing the the AR a few times but let’s be honest you don’t need a lot of skill to catch those critters. Now I know you will catch a lot more with “skill” and knowledge !!!!

Yes those bait buttons are pretty cool. Make it easy to fish barbless in almost any situation. So far my skills with a fly rod are probably a 5 out of 10 and I do actually practice at the local parks when I can’t make it to the river. Need to take some classes but work and kids keep me busy a lot especially with all their extra curricular activities. DId manage together out Shad fishing the the AR a few times but let’s be honest you don’t need a lot of skill to catch those critters. Now I know you will catch a lot more with “skill” and knowledge !!!!
    Do not sell yourself short on this forum with regards to fly angling skills, etc. I think most have to admit they are "5s" too or thereabouts......

If you are working and nurturing a career, plus being an involved parent supporting your kids, a "5" is pretty darn good! You'll have plenty of time after you paid college tuition and retire. Then, will you have a better mindset and attitude to elevate your fly fishing.