Thread: Rio Skagit Max Long

Default Rio Skagit Max Long

Hi guys,

I am very new to the Spey world and I recently purchased a Redington Chromer 7136-4 (13’6” 7 weight) and paired it with the Rio Skagit Max Long. However, I am curious if a shorter head would help me with my casting as sometimes it seems like too much line is on the water while I am casting. The problems I am having could be due to my beginner level as well. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by Pvillarr; 06-29-2018 at 09:27 AM.

You want a Skagit Max, not the long or short, for that rod length.

Andy

Thank you for your quick reply Andy. The Rio Line Selector App said it was compatible but it also looks like it is right on the cutoff. Maybe more experienced casters can make it work better than I can.

You didn't say what tips you are using, which also matters. Assuming you are using MOW tips which are sort of standard these days, with the Rio skagit max long you will be at about 37' total head length vs. 33' with the standard 'max'. Both are perfectly reasonable head lengths for a 13'6" rod and should be manageable even for relatively new casters. There are definitely tradeoffs and different casters may have different preferences but if you are struggling I'd suggest finding a casting mentor before finding a new line.

Generally speaking the longer the head the more likely your problems are likely to be excess line stick, and, the shorter the head, the more likely your problems will be blown anchors. If you don't encounter both problems from time to time you are a very unusual caster indeed. Equipment changes won't fix casting issues, but too much mucking around with equipment can definitely delay the development of good technique and the ability to recognize and correct common casting faults.

Thank you for your reply. I am currently using a Mow T-11 (10 Feet I believe)

You are on the cutoff for the length of your skagit head... here are some things to think about.
    Due to your rod/line setup, when using a standard length head, if you use a fast and or long casting stroke you'll be more likely to pull or blow the anchor. This is amplified when using a low rod tip path that's close to the water. Rod tip paths close to the waters surface are long and tend to generate too much power, especially when the rod is longer than 13'. When forming the "D" Loop, as soon as the rod tip begins its path traveling 180 degrees opposite from your target, elevate the rod tip a few feet above your head (experiment with different heights, keep your eyes on the rod tip) then smoothly accelerate the rod tip path while staying at the same height/flat. Then watch the anchor point and make sure it changes direction and points toward your casting target, then execute your forward stroke as the MOW tip connection loop touches the waters surface. No sound should be heard when the lines lifts off the water.
    When using a rod in excess of 13' it's much easier to place the anchor too far from your position which will take away the "D' loop's ability to load properly. Avoid this by not sweeping the rod around your body through a curved path.
    When using a longer skagit head length, if your application of power isn't sufficient when forming the "D" loop, the anchor point will never face the target when executing the forward stroke. If you use a longer, more powerful casting stroke you'll be less likely to pull or blow the anchor due to the longer length. Things to think about... -JP
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Putnam View Post
    You are on the cutoff for the length of your skagit head... here are some things to think about.
    Due to your rod/line setup, when using a standard length head, if you use a fast and or long casting stroke you'll be more likely to pull or blow the anchor. This is amplified when using a low rod tip path that's close to the water. Rod tip paths close to the waters surface are long and tend to generate too much power, especially when the rod is longer than 13'. When forming the "D" Loop, as soon as the rod tip begins its path traveling 180 degrees opposite from your target, elevate the rod tip a few feet above your head (experiment with different heights, keep your eyes on the rod tip) then smoothly accelerate the rod tip path while staying at the same height/flat. Then watch the anchor point and make sure it changes direction and points toward your casting target, then execute your forward stroke as the MOW tip connection loop touches the waters surface. No sound should be heard when the lines lifts off the water.
    When using a rod in excess of 13' it's much easier to place the anchor too far from your position which will take away the "D' loop's ability to load properly. Avoid this by not sweeping the rod around your body through a curved path.
    When using a longer skagit head length, if your application of power isn't sufficient when forming the "D" loop, the anchor point will never face the target when executing the forward stroke. If you use a longer, more powerful casting stroke you'll be less likely to pull or blow the anchor due to the longer length. Things to think about... -JP
    Thank you so much for your in-depth advice. Your advice definitely makes sense.

I honestly think I may buy the Rio Skagit Max (Normal) so that I can test and determine if I like the Max or Max Long more. Right now I am definitely having trouble with the excess line on the Max Long. I feel like I might be able to perfect my casting stroke more with a shorter Skagit head.

BTW, the grain weight I am using is 550.

So I wanted to provide an update on the situation. I went ahead and bought a Rio Skagit Max so that I could compare the Max to the Max Long. I definitely am able to cast better with the Max vs the Max Long while using the T-11 Mow Tip. I am 5'8" and I think my height and overall skill level makes it more ideal for me to use the Max and not the Max Long. I will probably just sell the Max Long at this point.

Thank you again for all your help.