Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N. Umpqua

The reports have been pretty tough this season. I havent been up there yet this year but the numbers in Steamboat Creek have been very low (70’s vs 200-400 most years by now). It’s actually good to hear you raised some - maybe the run is just late.

Had heard that there are some big resident rainbows in there, but never targeted them. I did skate up a 20” brown a couple years ago. Perspective is funny - I normally would be thrilled with a fish like that. There, I was almost disappointed.

Thanks for the report!

This year was a bit different than last, a tad less water and a bit warmer, temps outside were way hotter as well. When I first got up there on the 12th, there was roughly 65 fish in Lee's Pool, when I left on the 20th almost 200. As far as fishing goes, I only landed one this year, slower compared to last, however I averaged 2 grabs a day. One day I blanked but on another day, I had 4 grabs, which was the day that was much cooler and cloudy all day, the fish were definitely on the move that day. Everyone I talked to that day either an opportunity at a fish, had a fish on or landed one.

This year the fish were not on the grab, lots of flashes, boils and short strikes on top. When fishing a tip, I had many fish taking several feet, to even yards of line and then nothing. I wasnt the only one having the same problems. However, after several days of getting my ars handed to me by a few fish, many grabs, bumps, boils and flashes, I was finally able to land a nice 4lb hen on my North Umpqua special using a sink tip.

Great times as always, and dont know a better place to swing for steelhead in the summer, fish hard, and sometimes come up with a goose egg.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Quote Originally Posted by Acosby7 View Post
    I just have to say that fishing a tip on that river is quite the injustice to a special place.
    In that light, just how would fishing a “fly” concocted of foam glue and rubber be any more “just”? I’m all for fishing a floating line when and where I can, but purely for my own casting and swinging pleasure; I certainly wouldn’t be passing judgement on others for fishing with a tip. Personally I find it to be a very precarious ledge to stand on if we want to define what’s the most pure form of enjoying (and honoring) a special piece of water.

I’ll admit to having fished with tips on the NU, and having skated foamy abominations too. I can’t say that either caused to me to feel any less sense of respect and wonder for the river.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    In that light, just how would fishing a “fly” concocted of foam glue and rubber be any more “just”? I’m all for fishing a floating line when and where I can, but purely for my own casting and swinging pleasure; I certainly wouldn’t be passing judgement on others for fishing with a tip. Personally I find it to be a very precarious ledge to stand on if we want to define what’s the most pure form of enjoying (and honoring) a special piece of water.

I’ll admit to having fished with tips on the NU, and having skated foamy abominations too. I can’t say that either caused to me to feel any less sense of respect and wonder for the river.
    JB
    Nicely stated

You are certainly right about the foam flys and have a good point. My statement came off the wrong way. I don’t mean to say fishing tips is doing it wrong. but I do believe that this river is the most challenging piece of water to fish in the west coast and rightfully should be fished in the most difficult form. It bums me out hearing people that are disappointed by dismal days. There are still plenty of places to go to actually catch fish.!

River deserves only the best . Floating line an a muddler will get you all the fish you need . A Hardy an a 10ft 7 wt single hand rod is all you need up here.

Just to be clear here, I always swing through each run I fish with a skater or muddler on floating line first, sometimes depending on the run or if I had a flash or boil, I follow it up with a tip.

Im never disappointed when I go up there and never said I was. I was just giving everyone my experience on this trip, as I was kinda asked to chime in.

I love fishing up there, doesnt matter how its fishing, how I fish it, if I get fish or not, just getting away from my daily routine and being on a different watershed like the North Umpqua is good enough for me. This trip is my vacation after guiding nonstop from Oct to June and I fish it like it's my vacation.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

And we all wonder why people call fly fishermen pretentious

I haven't fished the NU for a number of years now but when I did it had a no weighted fly or weighted line restriction. Did that change? Kind of liked the rule on the upper waters.

Russell

No weighted fly (in summer season), no split shot, no indicators, no nets. Sink tips are not excluded.