Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N. Umpqua

Default N. Umpqua

Hi All. I am finally going to get to lay eyes on the hallowed waters that are the North Umpqua. Family and I will be camping along the river just below Steamboat Inn the end of July. I have three weekday mornings to get some fishing in before they awake. I've never fished for summer steel so I need some direction. What size two hander? Both of my speys are set up Skagit. Will a floating tip on a skagit head work or, should I swap that out for a scandi set up? Is the N. Umpqua DIY friendly?

If you don't want to publish to the masses PMs are perfectly fine.

Tight lines!

A stout 6 will work, many fish a 7. Skagit for heavy tips but not with floating tip, too much ruckus: scandi or rage much better for skater and traditional swing flies.

Its grad school for summer runs so, though finding spots isn't too hard (turnouts with well worn trails), the fishing is super demanding (nicknamed skunqua for good reason).

Mellow the learning curve with Tony Wratney or Rich Zellman for a guided morning, you won't regret it (though you still might not see a fish).

Good luck!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    A stout 6 will work, many fish a 7. Skagit for heavy tips but not with floating tip, too much ruckus: scandi or rage much better for skater and traditional swing flies.

Its grad school for summer runs so, though finding spots isn't too hard (turnouts with well worn trails), the fishing is super demanding (nicknamed skunqua for good reason).

Mellow the learning curve with Tony Wratney or Rich Zellman for a guided morning, you won't regret it (though you still might not see a fish).

Good luck!

Andy
    Thank you Andy. I know Rich Z. and will reach out to him... I think he has a two day minimum though...

I figured skagit wasn't the way to go.... oh well, I guess I'll have to I have to buy another "tool".

I am definitely going with tempered expectations on the catching.... but high expectations of the beauty! A hook-up would be icing on the cake...

Very stoked to see this part of the country!
    Last edited by BumpBailey; 06-26-2018 at 07:51 AM.

Pm sent....
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Sounds like a few of us will be making the trek up there this summer...

My maiden voyage too...

hey Brian I will take that same PM! LOL

if I move a fish or two on a skater, I'll be happy.

Pm sent...
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Good luck!

Andy
    I typed up a response then deleted it as its all covered right here.

This board is the best! Thank you all! I promise photo's upon my return. I can't promise there will be steel in them but, it wouldn't be for lack you all trying to point me in the right direction!

I am just back from 5 nights at steamboat.

Tough fishing, pack your patience and some sink tips.

In retrospect I was probably not fishing fast enough water, the water seemed warm and my guess is the fish were looking for the O2.

Fished most days morning and/or evening. Skated up 3 grabs, nothing on tips and 2 of the 3 fish looked to be 1-salters from long distance glances. The third fish was a good one and very aggressive, but we simply could not get connected despite multiple chances.

Brian Clemens was up there as well and got a fish or two and more grabs than me. Maybe he will post a report and a pic.

Beautiful place to get skunked, hospitality at Steamboat is top notch.

Bring a trout rod (4wt is good), they're quite responsive to stonefly drys in the fast riffles during the day. Head about 7-10 miles above steamboat for the best water. Most fish are 8-12" but there are a few 15+" around. They all fight above their size class especially in the current!

I would try to get out with a guide if you can.

If you learn how to fish it and where some good spots are it might be worth it.

Lots of dead water to cast on.

The fish hold in very specific spots because of all the big rock structure.

Get out very early ( first choice) and late (second choice).

Pray for some weather......

This is a beautiful, special, mean river.

Wading there is really a weird, bad deal for most.

I would use a #4 dark fly and 8# Maxima Ultragreen tippet.

I heard the fish start up there after July 4th.

October would be a good month.

For many years veteran fly fishing guide Mike McCune use to camp there every summer for 6 weeks.

He fished real early, then again at 1:00 pm and then the last 2 hours.

20 years ago I met him there and he helped me hook and land one nice Steelhead.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........