Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John squires

Default John squires

I saw last night Jeff C posted about his raft capsizing in Alaska with 3 aboard. I looked online and all I saw was that there is still one missing as of Thursday and was not wearing a pfd. I do not know those waters but saw in his post it was challenging water. I hope for the best and thoughts and prayers go out I personally do not know John. It really hit me hard when I read it. In passing I’ve said hi and he seemed like a really nice person. Maybe it struck me because we all share the same local waters and have the same passion I don’t know.

Jake,
    Found this;
    http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/...quires-alaska/

==Doesn't look good.
    Best.
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Sad to hear this..........will miss his posts.

Jim
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Didn't know him but will miss his insight. RIP Mr. Squires

Reports seem to suggest that John wasn't wearing a PFD. This could and should be a
    teaching moment. Get one and wear one when in "iffy" conditions.
    Condolences to John's family and friends. RIP John.
    Best to all,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Really sad to have read this news. RIP.

My brother lived in AK for a few years and I would often visit him. The first time I went he had me read a few articles from the local paper illustrating how many tragic accidents they have each year in the wild, on rivers, or some combination thereof. It was eye opening and gave me a newfound respect for mother nature and moving water.

Terrible news...I really enjoyed John's insights.

In 1978 I managed Grosvenor Lodge in Katmai, and I guided most days on the American River. I don't know whether or not American Creek and the American River are the same streams...Truly God's Country!

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Really sad to have read this news. RIP.

My brother lived in AK for a few years and I would often visit him. The first time I went he had me read a few articles from the local paper illustrating how many tragic accidents they have each year in the wild, on rivers, or some combination thereof. It was eye opening and gave me a newfound respect for mother nature and moving water.
    I had a career in public safety (now retired). Part of my training was swift water rescue. That had a profound effect on the way I think about the power of water. I get teased from time to time although most of it is respectful because I wear a PFD when I wade and I don't even think about getting into my kayak without one on. I also wear one if fishing from a guide boat. It is the inflatable horse collar type that is comfortable in warm weather.
    I'm trying not to preach.......do what you want. My $.02 don't rely on luck or ego. Water is bigger than you are.

What a tragic event. I enjoyed reading the insight and information in his posts. His info on what he was doing up on Independence Lake was most interesting.

So sad, he was just talking about how he looked forward to this trip. I hope he had fun catching some fish before it all went south. Mems.
    Don Memmer