Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bollibokka Way Station Early July Advice

Not
    To
    Miss the point and geek out instead, but what rod is that? Looks like an old Fenwick reel seat but the rod does not... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    Not
    To
    Miss the point and geek out instead, but what rod is that? Looks like an old Fenwick reel seat but the rod does not... thanks
    Scientific Anglers System 5 rod (blank made by Fisher) and a System 5 reel (made by Hardy). Enough backbone for an energetic 20” rainbow but still fun with smaller fish...

I'm with David. I will not support MWD when their goal seems to be to grab as much water from northern California regardless of the environmental consequences to Nor Cal. They are also trying to destroy the Delta so as to get more water.
    And no, I don't support the Fly Shop helping MWD to defray the cost of holding that property. I realize that this is a minor cost for MWD. Perhaps if enough people make a statement with their actions, things will change for the better.
    I respect everybody's right to their opinion, this is mine.
    Gregg

What about splitting California into three states?

Northern California

California

Southern California

If we (Nor Cal) could have the rights to all the water and sell it to the rest of them.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by gwris View Post
    I'm with David. I will not support MWD when their goal seems to be to grab as much water from northern California regardless of the environmental consequences to Nor Cal. They are also trying to destroy the Delta so as to get more water.
    And no, I don't support the Fly Shop helping MWD to defray the cost of holding that property. I realize that this is a minor cost for MWD. Perhaps if enough people make a statement with their actions, things will change for the better.
    I respect everybody's right to their opinion, this is mine.
    Gregg
    I'm with Greg and David on this one. As much as I would love to fish those waters, as long as MWD has any stake in it, I won't. I try not to give them or the Resnicks any of my money.... Plenty of other beautiful places to fish both for pay and free! MWD wants all the water they can get. It is an infinite resource in their eyes... water flowing to the ocean they see as a waste... F the farmers and people that live around the delta, they don't need fresh water... only the people down in the desert that is the Southern California Valley.....

I am all for three states. Unfortunately, it will never happen. Government won't break up the largest economy in our country, let alone one of the largest in the world..... they want to keep raping and pillaging too!

A BIG YES TO THAT. Unlikely, but probably the only solution to stealing our water.

Northern California is clearly not able to control the water theft. Not to mention the ongoing environmental damage. Plus the escalating effect on native wildlife, which was started in late 1950's under the current Governor's father (the then sitting Governor, Pat Brown).

How can the current Governor Brown, who stands tall on climate change, allow this to happen. He, whether he likes it or not, is in the back pocket of Southern California water companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post

Northern California

California

Southern California

If we (Nor Cal) could have the rights to all the water and sell it to the rest of them.

Just to get a couple of things straight, folks, just so the ire is properly directed:

- Metropolitan Water District does not own Bollibokka. It's owned by the Westlands Water District from the Central Valley. Booking or not booking the Bollobokka has zero impact on Westlands' bottom line.

- Raising Shasta Dam would not flood "miles" of the Sac and McCloud, it would flood under a mile between the two. On the McCloud about 1500 feet would be inundated when the dam is at full capacity, which would not occur often. That point is well below any of the structures on the Bollobokka, so I don't think it would close in the event of a dam raise. I'm not too familiar with the lowest stretch of the Sac so I'm not sure where the highest water level would reach, but I believe it's less than a half mile from the current high water mark.

- Raising Shasta would create a surprisingly small amount of "new" water, I think somewhere around 120K acre feet when fully filled, which again doesn't happen all that often. Doesn't seem like much for $1.2+ billion.

- No funding has been identified for a raise. Westlands is obviously interested, but are they going to put up $1.2 billion to raise the dam? I don't think they can or would. No federal funds are on the horizon and state law prohibits state funding of anything that inundates any portion of the McCloud.

All in all: not likely to happen in the near term, not catastrophic to either river if it does.

Just to get a couple of things straight, folks, just so the ire is properly directed:

- Metropolitan Water District does not own Bollibokka. It's owned by the Westlands Water District from the Central Valley. Booking or not booking the Bollobokka has zero impact on Westlands' bottom line.

OC you are correct. Westlands is the Central South Valley siphon and the MWD is the Greater Los Angeles Basin siphon. Westlands is the title holder to Bolliboka. My deserved ire for both was misdirected in this case....

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post

Northern California

California

Southern California

Hummmm............

I think Stan Statham had that "insite" some 3 decades ago.

Bob

OC - Thank you for correcting and educating me. Westlands and Resnicks have very poor records when it comes to the environment. Along with MWD they seem to see Nor Cal as a source of water regardless of the environmental consequences. When they have destroyed the Nor Cal environment, where will they turn for water? Why not turn to that now before we damage the environment any more? Of course we know why - it is all about money. My dream is that Californians will stand up and tell these players that enough is enough, now rather than later.
    Perhaps raising Shasta isn't all that bad. For me though, it is just one more step in the wrong direction.
    Gregg