Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bollibokka Way Station Early July Advice

Default Bollibokka Way Station Early July Advice

Heading to Way Station at Bollibokka July 4-9 for the first time. I've fished Conservancy many times as well as private water below but never the Bollibokka. Anyone have any advice or stories about this water? I've been told it will be hot and that wet-wading is preferred (with wet/breathable leggings and light long sleeves for sun protection). I've also been told to expect buzzworm activity and loads of poison oak.

Needless to say, we're super excited about the trip and want to be well-prepared in terms of flies/equip. I'm preparing for long days of bobbicating with some dries at morning/evening with perhaps some streamer action. There are some newbies on the trip so we've engaged Chuck from Wildwaters for several days - had a great time with him recently on a steelhead trip in Oregon.

Any advice on favorite flies/methods greatly appreciated!

Maybe some streamers?

Check with Bob Grace @ The Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir, CA.

(530) 235-2969
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have 10+ trips to Bolli.

Streamers work. Tug is the drug. I switched to swinging and rarely use the Bobber in that section anymore.
    24ft Rio integrated sink tip and a single hand spey cast will cover the river.

Dry fly in the morning and night.

Neoprene leggings is the way to go. I converted nearly my whole group to this strategy. I have to give props to Fred Gordon, I got the idea after watching him in the river with neoprene pants he is half river otter. Long sleeve shirt.

Watch for rattlers!!!

The big pool just below the way station can hold some big fish. My buddy had a 12" thrashing about, then it went limp as we watch the leviathon emerge from the deep!! Biggest fish I have seen charged the fish on the line but at the last second when the fish played dead (went limp) the monster trout turned away and returned to the deep. I grabbed my 7wt and a huge articulated rainbow pattern and tried for days to catch that fish. I did raise the fish from the deep, he chased the streamer a couple times and once smacked it with his tail and flopped around but when I raised up he was never hooked. The leviathan lives under the big dark rock.

HAVE FUN!!

It was private for decades but now lucky people can book into there through The Fly Shop in Redding, CA.

https://www.theflyshop.com/adventures/bollibokka.html

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO9v1HfGkHY

Lots of private water and lodges in California

http://www.kienesflyfishingtravel.com/california
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

donkey thanks for the great story! i remember john rickard explaining that most of his streamer browns on the mccloud came at high noon mid-summer. any particular swing/streamer pattern you would recommend?

Donkeyhunter, doesn't it get hot as hell in neoprenes in mid-summer? Or do you just stay in the water all day long? How do you handle all the stuff in your vest? Do you just say F#&* it?
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Waders are already hot as hell. and wet from sweat. I find them hotter than the neoprenes.
    The neoprenes are soaking wet so I am cooler hiking between holes. you need gravel guards.
    Vest is ok doesnt get anymore wet than with waders. although you dont need a vest if your swinging flies. tippet and flies.
    I do have a patagonia waterproof sling that floats and holds a lunch if im gone all day. I can now swim to holes that have not been fished by others.

Last but not least do everyone a favor and and wera a pair of boardshorts over the neoprenes.
    It will extend the life of your pants as you scoot around on rocks all day.
    also the first time wearng neoprenes I felt like ballerina in tights and nobody wants to look a your junk allday.
    the shorts are key.

There's a wise old adage that says, "If you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything at all." Normally, I try to adhere to this rule, but in the case of the "Bollibaka Club" I feel compelled to make any exception. Here's why . . .

The "club's" river-front property is located just a few miles above Lake Shasta. It is the closest private land fronting the McCloud River above the lake. Several years ago, the property was purchased by the Metropolitan Water District (MWD) of Southern California.

MWD is a strong advocate of raising the height of Shasta Dam so that more water can be stored in the lake for shipment south. Raising the dam's height will definitely flood several more miles of both the McCloud River and the Upper Sacramento River, including portions of the McCloud where the Bollibaka Club now sits. MWD wants to ensure that no affected "private property" owners on the McCloud object to raising the dam, even though this would flood several miles of the finest wild trout stream in California and destroy a number of sacred Indian burial grounds as well.

Currently, the FlyShoppe in Redding has a lease agreement with MWD whereby they share the large weekly fees of $7,300 for the Rock House and $4,500 for the Way Station. Given these facts, I would never choose to rent the Bollibaka Club facilities. Others may disagree, and I can respect that, but the facts are the facts.

Thanks to all of you for considering this input. David in Sacramento

Large weekly fee?? people pay $6000 to go to a lodge in BC ?? That is per person. Bolli holds groups of 11-12 people it is the best deal in fly fishing.

I am also not sure how renting Bollibokka is contributing to the raising of shasta dam? Would you prefer it sit empty until it is flooded?

The amount of money the water district gets from the fly shop is minuscule in the scheme of things.

You should probably direct your energy/anger towards the family that sold the land to the the water district. sounds like if they would have held on to it then the water district would not be able to raise the dam. I dont think they needed the money.
    I believe they made coffee.
    Hills Brothers maybe???

I am going as many times as I can until its flooded. I hope it is never flooded. The more people who enjoy the area the more people will raise a fuss when it comes time to raise the dam.

I’ve been to Bollibokka 8 times. It is definitely combat wading - smooth basalt rocks - cleats just skate over the top, rubber is slick, and felt “sorta” works. I have seen rattlesnakes on or near the trail every year. Poison oak is all over. In addition to indicate nymphing and dry fles in the evening, I have had good luck with dry droppers - big fish will come up for Chubby Chernobyls. Be sure to try different colors - this year, light nymphs like copper-colored copper johns and flashback birds nests worked better than dark nymphs. I also had fish reject every dry I tried in the evening except very light PMDs.

The politics surrounding Bollibokka are complex. Here is a recent Sac Bee article with some info if you are interested ...https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/ca...209471359.html

Back to fishing — here are a couple of pics from Early June...

Remarkably fast water - wading for risk takers, but holds many fish that will go after a "brontosaurus burger" fly like a Chubby Chernobyl

My dry dropper rig - Chubby and a Dark Lord prince nymph

Fish extracted from the water shown above -- 12" class