Thread: Lake Merritt

Default Lake Merritt

Walking to work in majestic downtown Oakland spotted two fishermen at the edge of lake Merritt casting jigs.
    1 hooked up right away and pulled in a fish about 25". I went to talk to them and they had a couple of undersized fish hidden under grass. Seth Norman always dreamed of float tubing the lake in the evening under the lights for stripers. The time has come!!
    Reported the undersize to DFG
    Dave

My office used to be on the lake across from the Cameron-Stanford House. I used to run the lake everyday at lunch..Lake Merritt is a tidal estuary and has huge stripers...and muggers, thieves, dopers and rapists. I would be careful being around the lake at night.

Quote Originally Posted by dsfj40 View Post
    Walking to work in majestic downtown oakland spotted two fishermen at the edge of lake merritt casting jigs.
    1 hooked up right away and pulled in a fish about 25". I went to talk to them and they had a couple of undersized fish hidden under grass. Seth Norman always dreamed of float tubing the lake in the evening under the lights for stripers. The time has come!!
    Reported the undersize to DFG
    Dave
    That's cool... I grew up in Oakland and my mom always used to buy our birthday cakes from Merritt Bakery. I never thought about fishing for stripers there... of course I was only 8 when we moved to Fremont and I discovered stripers in one of the quarry ponds behind Alameda Creek. Many moons have passed and many massive stripers caught and released since then. If I lived there still, I would fish it.

You should go and just be smart and safe.

Hopefully you tie into one of these:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARSTRIPER510181.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	14234