Thread: Green Drakes coming off on the Truckee River yesterday.

Default Green Drakes coming off on the Truckee River yesterday.

A good friend finally hit it good.....

It rained in the AM and then it went wild for 6 hours.

Below Hirschdale......

I guess they should be a size 8/10 dry.

*Veteran fly fisher Chuck Campana told me many years ago it was the third week in June.

** Many years ago Millard Fox of Fox's Flies in Sparks, Nevada told us to come up to the main Truckee River around the 4th of July for Little Yellow Sallys and caddis in the evenings.

Green Drakes should be coming off on Hat Creek?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, lots of bugs on the menu. I fished it yesterday in the canyon and it mainly a PMD and yellow sallie game early on. Caddies later in the day. I'm sure that wet pattern got those drakes going. Timing is everything. The sun is out and its hot so fish in the am and then get off the water around 1pm and back on 5pm for better success. Water temps in the canyon were between 59-61 degrees. Flows in the 450-500 range and much thinner above. Water is gin clear which makes for challenging fishing. Decent pressure even in areas I really don't see many people. Lots of rafters so be prepared for that fishy water getting blasted thru by the onslaught. I didn't catch anything big but a lot of fish in the 1-3 year range. That is good for the healthy of the river after the long drought we had. Means we had good recruitment and years to come should only get better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3370.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	14228

It seems as though, as the rafting business on the Lower Truckee has grown over he last several years, it has pushed more fishermen into the lower sections of the river that traditionally had not been hit hard. Seems like people have been trying to fish more below the rafting take-out at Floriston and avoid the rafts completely? Sound right?

If you get on water early you still have a few hours before you will see a raft above Floriston where I was. But when they do come it’s a full train. But it’s all good. Hard not to smile at kids enjoying summer.

Below to state line is probably a good option and you have endless miles that I still don’t see many people. Just gotta hoof it a little.