Thread: Feather/Yuba Reports?

Default Feather/Yuba Reports?

Anybody been up to the North or Middle Forks of Feather recently? How about Lower Yuba? Thinking about a short trip over the weekend. In the past, Lower Yuba evening caddis was epic but curious about bug resiliency after the nose job the river received these past years . Any intel greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Pupa View Post
    Anybody been up to the North or Middle Forks of Feather recently? How about Lower Yuba? Thinking about a short trip over the weekend. In the past, Lower Yuba evening caddis was epic but curious about bug resiliency after the nose job the river received these past years . Any intel greatly appreciated!
    I’ve been out a few times over the last month hoping each time would be “the one”. Saw a few risers in some slack water but have seen no evening hatch fishing as far as I’m concerned. Last time I was out was same story as time before. A few peds and a couple caddie but no risers. Water is still pretty high at 2200. Probably good nymph water from a boat but not seeing any evening activity. Had a friend who fished down on the side channel on the island last week who also reported no risers. In looking at the rocks, I’m seeing very little bug life which is a shame because this spring before the big rains it was awesome. Every week and day are different but my two cents is I would pass on the lower y evening hatch game. I’ve read some guide reports areporting “good” fishing but again I would assume fishing probably is good nymphimg out of a boat and casting to the occasional riser as you cover lots of water. Pretty tough wade fishing right now imo. I do believe the river is supposed to drop significantly in the next couple weeks

I fished the MFFR on Monday and it was great. The water is very wadeable with the run-off being over. It's plenty cold and every fishy spot had fish. There was a rise of size 16 PMDs in the afternoon but not many fish were on them just sporadic risers. Did really good with the prince nymph and streamers. Didn't get to venture as far as I'd like but enjoyed my time there.
    I didn't get to fish the NFFR but on the way home in the evening there was an epic caddis hatch in the canyon. I'm wondering how it's fishing since the big floods...
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

thanks guys for the advice. We ended up fishing silver fork for the first time. What a beautiful piece of water! We were above China Flat somewhere and the action was pretty slow (4:30-9pm) A few pinkie-sized rainbows but had ton of fun scrambling the granite boulders. There was a significant march brown spinner fall but not many noses looking up.