Thread: Green River Utah

Default Green River Utah

In mid August one of my sons and I are spending three days fishing on the Green river in Utah below flaming Gorge Res. We are using the guides from trout Creek flies and staying in their RV park in my sons "mobile mansion". Any experience fishing the river and recommendations for restaurants in the area?

I have collected as much info on line I could, even watched the Seasons on the Fly episode. I understand the wearing of life jackets is mandatory, any experience on this? I know that the area of Dutch John is in the boonies, just looking for any useful trip info....thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luckyt View Post
    In mid August one of my sons and I are spending three days fishing on the Green river in Utah below flaming Gorge Res. We are using the guides from trout Creek flies and staying in their RV park in my sons "mobile mansion". Any experience fishing the river and recommendations for restaurants in the area?

I have collected as much info on line I could, even watched the Seasons on the Fly episode. I understand the wearing of life jackets is mandatory, any experience on this? I know that the area of Dutch John is in the boonies, just looking for any useful trip info....thanks
    I have both stayed in Dutch John and fished the green there that time of year. Seems like fishing is tough in July and August after the strong spring hatches they get. Notwithstanding there are so many fish in the river it’s not hard to have a “good day” fishing. I liked the last part of the A and first part of the B float the best. Didn’t care for the c but I understand that is more of a spring or winter fisherie. The first part of the A however called the aquarium is really cool. Gin clear water and trout, everywhere. You will have a blast if nothing else but the shear beauty of the canyon. Prettiest place I have floated to date. Do be prepared however for seeing more boats than you have ever floated with. You end up spreading out but I recall ther Bering literally over 40 boats floating the A section when I was there. We ended up doing an overnight trip floating into the b section that afternoon and camping on the river that night, which was awesome.

In terms of Dutch John I’m not really sure there are many good food options (as far as inrecalll). I recalled staying in a cabin next to an rv park in “town” and waking to a restaurant nearby that I believe was run by Europeans of some sort. Just blah food. But fishing the green really isn’t about the food scene then, isn’t it. If i had a huge rv I would probably stock up on some nice steaks and baked potatoes and salad and cook at the rv, enjoy a cocktail and enjoy a spectacular sunrise over the gorge.

Restaurants are limited. Red Canyon Lodge, Green River Grill and Steakhouse (next door to Trout Creek Flies), Flaming Gorge Resort, the restaurant at Trout Creek Flies and the Cedar Springs Marina has a floating barge that is sporadic are pretty much your only options.

I like Red Canyon Lodge because it has outdoor seating, but it is about 15 miles from Dutch John. Green River Grill and Steakhouse is a walk from Trout Creek Flies. Last year it was only a pizza joint. Flaming Gorge Resort gets busy, but the hamburgers and fries are hard to beat. Cedar Springs Marina has a floating barge, but it is open only when a dollar can be made. It gives you a different perspective of the area only because it is on the lake. If you want a real treat, take the dam tour. Given more time, run out to Dinosaur Monument to check out the Quarry display of dinosaurs.

I will be out there the end of July/early August and can give a review of the Green River Grill. For my money, we run out to Red Canyon Resort a couple of times during our week.

Google the names for directions. As far as life jackets; they are mandatory in the A section and the first part of the B section. The guides will let you know when you can emove them. The term Boonies is an understatement.
    If you have a favorite beverage, get it before you leave Salt Lake City or when you drive into Evanston, Wyoming on 80. We usually shop in Park City if its not Sunday.

You should consider renting one-man pontoon boats to fish the A-stretch for a day. It's like fishing from an easy boy chair.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Red Canyon Lodge. It's been a number of years, but I had the best pork chop I've ever tasted there.

I went to some lawn mower races in South Dakota and had a "Pork Chop on a Stick".

It was fantastic.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hi Gitt...ck your private messages about the Green...Tom