Thread: East Carson - C&R Section below Hangmans

Default East Carson - C&R Section below Hangmans

This is the annual two week window where I get all antsy to go drift the C&R section below Hangmans, call all my friends and usually strike out b/c kids activities, Father's Day, etc... Flows are 500-600 CFS and window to drift likely closing within the next week (if not already?). The one other time I did it we tried to time it, it warmed up, and totally blew out up 700-900 CFS. It was a really fun overnight fun raft trip but chocolate milk with zero fish. That was also about ~5yrs ago, before the fire and big atmospheric river events that I hear changed some of spots in the river.

Anyone have any recent reports? Thinking it should be in good shape for fishing at these flows. Also hoping the river hasn't changed too much and I would still be able to get down without issue in my 10' frameless Scadden XT2. The idea would be to solo in the boat (with gear) to keep it pretty light an nimble. Pretty sure I could easily portage/drag it around anything, if even necessary. Appreciate any recent reports, or if anyone's interested in joining for an adventure let me know!

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

As I remember it, the guys at Tahoe Fly Fishing Outfitters used to occasionally do that drift when the conditions were right. Might want to give the shop a call and see if they done so this year. Have always heard it was a difficult window to catch, so best of luck with your timing.
    -JD

Its already hitting peak in terms of runoff and is on the way down now. Been bouncing in the 550-600 range. I wouldn't let it get too much lower if you were going to do a float. I've been by it a few times recently and it looks very fishy. Little color still but not far off. That poor fishery though has suffered so much over the past decade+. Fires, silt, drought, poor mgmt... etc. I've caught some big fish in that canyon as have many others over the years but now I generally just drive by that place going to somewhere else. Above the bridge it got to be a real shit show. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    As I remember it, the guys at Tahoe Fly Fishing Outfitters used to occasionally do that drift when the conditions were right. Might want to give the shop a call and see if they done so this year. Have always heard it was a difficult window to catch, so best of luck with your timing.
    Yeah I called those guys last weekend - they hadn't had anyone go down this year or didn't have any recent reports, wanted me to report back to them

Went by yesterday and she's still ripping pretty good. (550 CFS). I wouldn't cross lets put it that way and the color was average. (slight brown/green). Only saw 1 person fishing. West Carson on other hand for those interested looked really good. Great color and flows.
    Also if you are headed up that way expect road work and delays. Just part of the summer routing maintenance.

EnjoyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3314.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	14209

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Went by yesterday and she's still ripping pretty good. (550 CFS). I wouldn't cross lets put it that way and the color was average. (slight brown/green). Only saw 1 person fishing. West Carson on other hand for those interested looked really good. Great color and flows.
    Also if you are headed up that way expect road work and delays. Just part of the summer routing maintenance.

EnjoyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3314.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	14209
    Thanks for this. Good to hear. I actually got sucked into some family stuff this weekend so couldn't make it happen. Might take another run at it this weekend if flows hold up.