Thread: Spey Set up question

Default Spey Set up question

I'm going to be at Sailor Bar tomorrow and I want to try using my spey rod. I had it set up at the shop last year and I have a Rio Skagit Max line on it and I have a full T11 Mow Tip and and a MOW tip with 7.5 inches of floating line ending in 2.5 inches of T11. Does anyone have a recommendation for the right MOW tip? I can also try to make it to the shop if neither of these will do.

The right tip correlates to the depth and speed of the current often codependent on the brightness of sun and the positioning of the fish reacting to the light by either swimming into deeper or faster water. Try your fastest tip during the bright hours when fish are less likely to travel up towards the surface to intercept your fly. If it hangs up on the bottom then try your slower tip. Tight lines.

Thanks Andy! You’ve always given me good advice!

I want to get with Andy for Shad with my grandson who bigger than both of us.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I took Andy's advice exactly and had one of the best shad days of my life. We caught 30 or 40 between the two of us in about 3 hours. I caught all mine on the Bloody Maria. Also, my first fish on my spey outfit. Still need a lot of practice on spey casting but I was able to get it out there.