Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Davis

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
    Both State Fish and Wildlife and the County Fish Commission vehemently deny planting bass in Davis. In fact, both are livid that LMB got into the system.

As with the pike, bass were purposefully and illegally planted into Lake Davis and it wasn't via my fairy godmother. Fluctuating lake levels likely help the bass, but the notion that changing lake levels somehow made bass magically appear in the lake is ludicrous.
    Yeah, because the government has NEVER lied to us about anything, right?

Keep accusing others of what you do not know. Very mature!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
    Both State Fish and Wildlife and the County Fish Commission vehemently deny planting bass in Davis. In fact, both are livid that LMB got into the system.

As with the pike, bass were purposefully and illegally planted into Lake Davis and it wasn't via my fairy godmother. Fluctuating lake levels likely help the bass, but the notion that changing lake levels somehow made bass magically appear in the lake is ludicrous.
    Are you sure they are Large Mouths? I would highly, highly, doubt that they are LMB--most likely spotted bass. There are very few lakes in Northern CA where LMB do well (clear lake probably being #1). Most lakes have a handful of LMB to spotted bass.

Default Lake Davis....

IMO,.... Yubaflyshers' explanation for the current situation at Davis makes the most sense to me. Regardless, I recall reading that Bass (whether illegally introduced or not) were in Lake Davis for some time before the introduction of Pike and the subsequent poisonings.

Tigerlilly's rant should've ended with the first post as it's obvious that no explanation will satisfy his or her need to do so. Everyone take a deep breath, lighten up, adapt and fish a different lake until Davis comes back. Nothing further to be accomplished by this heated discussion.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Here is an email response I just got from veteran fisheries friend Chris Pasley who manages a Federal fish hatchery in Washington state.

"I've seen it work out in some lakes. It sounds like the problems may be more related to poor trout conditions with several consecutive drought years and resulting increased temps, weed growth, lower water levels etc. etc. We have a few local lakes up here in North Central Washington that have been experiencing problems for the trout due to a couple back to back extra hot summers and resulting increased weed growth leading to low DO winter and summer kills. Don't really know being so far removed from that area for a long time now, but that is one theory."

Chris use to work at the shop a long time ago. He grew up in Sacramento. I believe he went to Humboldt for Fisheries.

He work at a fish hatchery in Valdez, Alaska.

When he worked for us he also guided Steelhead on foot on the Lower Feather River when it was fishing better.

Chris is on my short list of the top 10 fly fisher I know well and fished with some.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Here is an email from Davis Lake Don....

Lake conditions great, lots of biomass and water is good. Just VERY FEW FISH. 1 or 2 a day but really nice sizes. Fish and game just won’t commit resources necessary to bring fish numbers up. Frenchman’s is much better right now. Sad situation and will get worse and older fish die off.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........