Thread: Calaveras River in the canyon, Rancho Calaveras

Question Calaveras River in the canyon, Rancho Calaveras

!5 years ago, used to fish it a lot. Always managed to engage friendly homeowner or go in through a vacant or for sale lot. Loved it then and have had some big fish and skunks. Difficult wading and have had a few over the top wader events. Anybody been within last 3 to 6 months? Never encountered fish and game down there but would expect to below the dam. Any ticketing of parked vehicles without a Rancho Calaveras sticker? Do you need any stamps this year other than steelhead?

Thanks, Jerry Davis

Quote Originally Posted by jerry94528 View Post
    !5 years ago, used to fish it a lot. Always managed to engage friendly homeowner or go in through a vacant or for sale lot. Loved it then and have had some big fish and skunks. Difficult wading and have had a few over the top wader events. Anybody been within last 3 to 6 months? Never encountered fish and game down there but would expect to below the dam. Any ticketing of parked vehicles without a Rancho Calaveras sticker? Do you need any stamps this year other than steelhead?

Thanks, Jerry Davis
    use to fish it a lot in the ealy 70`s and early 80`s even fished Jenny Lind . we would park at the Old firehouse , that was a great river at times, not many fished it . granted the limit back then was 10 and Hogan had trout as well Planted in it and the fishery was healthy and at times a steel head a salmon would make there way up It was good Old days, I miss that river a lot . as of today . you have to ask home owners to trespass and to get to the river and the waters is very low. i`m sure all the trouts are natives of past generations and maybe are struggling to survive , who Knows? . granted we do now have a new threat to trout fishing in that area . Its call Weed!!!
    to tell you the truth I feel steelhead and salmon are the last fish to even be seen by the native fish in that river.Belotta stops everything from moving upstream period!!!
    Last edited by stefanoflo; 11-12-2016 at 06:39 PM.

I haven't ever seen a sticker, or a citation for parking. There's very limited access thru some vacant lots. I believe the bellota weir has been passable for some time. It is incredibly difficult to wade and fish. Most poaching issues have to do with worming by local hillbillies, as it is artificial/barbless.

Thumbs up Craig

Quote Originally Posted by jerry94528 View Post

Thanks, Jerry Davis
    Its a great little fishery when the water is above 70 cfs, especially in the late spring (may/june). fish from 6" to about 14", and very hot. i swing flies using a 3 or 4 wt. fly rod, and 9' leader. soft hackle flies size 14-16 in yellow green or purple will work. swinging nymphs in purple seem to work also. keep changing flies as the fish catch on. terrestrials, ants and bees, work also.....don't worry about whether they stay on surface, just throw them. there is an occasional central valley steelhead in the mix. fishery is catch and release. enjoy your outing.