Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Opener

Default Kenai Opener

Aloha, I have an opportunity to fish the trout opener in June this summer. I got a free trip to Anchorage to take a class for teaching, and am going to extend my trip and fish a couple of days with a pair of Alaskan guides. They were here in Hawaii for their honeymoon and we went out for bonefish. They invited me to do a couple of floats with them. My question is, do I really need a 10 foot 8wt rod for trout on the Kenai river? I am going to bring one, they said it works best for indicator fishing, but also plan on bringing a 9 foot 8wt and a 9 foot 6wt rod for some streamer fishing. I will post a story when I get back, should be fun. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Don, You might want to contact Ard Stetts. He posted here as Hardyreels and has guided in AK
    for some years. Haven't had contact with him for over a year; but, he knows AK fishing.
    You should have a great time. Take lots of mosquito protection. We used to go in August
    for silvers and 6 - 7 weights would work; every once in a while a big king would porpoise
    in front of us and look as big as a malamute.
    http://akflyfishingguide.com/
    Looking forward to your epic report.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    Aloha, I have an opportunity to fish the trout opener in June this summer. I got a free trip to Anchorage to take a class for teaching, and am going to extend my trip and fish a couple of days with a pair of Alaskan guides. They were here in Hawaii for their honeymoon and we went out for bonefish. They invited me to do a couple of floats with them. My question is, do I really need a 10 foot 8wt rod for trout on the Kenai river? I am going to bring one, they said it works best for indicator fishing, but also plan on bringing a 9 foot 8wt and a 9 foot 6wt rod for some streamer fishing. I will post a story when I get back, should be fun. Mems.
    “Need” is always kind of a strong term when we’re talking about trout fishing, but I think you might be glad to have an 8wt. I admittedly have only fished the Kenai a handful of times, and usually with a 6wt for trout and dollies. I don’t really enjoy the indicator thing that much, so on my last trip I pretty much used my 9’6” 8wt and focused on fishing flesh patterns that I knew would also entice a grab from a silver. I am really glad I went with the 8wt as I hooked into a huge rainbow that I really had to work to land, anything lighter and I might have been able to land it but it would have likely taken a loooonng time. Ended up being a fair bit bigger than any of the salmon we caught on the trip, go figure!

I think a 9’ 8wt would be fine too, especially if you are fishing from a boat. Pretty great opportunity, so definitely jump on it.

Good luck,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Per Jason, "need", no. But a 10' rod, 7wt or 8wt, is definitely nice if you are indicator fishing from a boat on the Kenai. A light switch rod, 10'6" or 11' in the 5/6 class, is also not out of the question for this application. Extra reach and lifting power is a win.

Thanks for the help guys, I was just wondering if the fish were really that big? The guides siad there are some 30inch rainbows there, and maybe some salmon, so I will be prepared. I might also try and do a day offshore for kings or halibut to bring some fish home, but we will see. Should be fun, I will give a report when I get back. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Admittedly I'm geared twords wading, but If it was me I would not go without a 6 or 7 wt switch rod, probably 11' lined with a salmo/steelhead taper, in 8 or 9 wt (single hand line). It surely wouldn't be the only rod I brought but I think you'll be happy having it in the arsenal.
    Last edited by Boondockz; 05-26-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    Thanks for the help guys, I was just wondering if the fish were really that big? The guides siad there are some 30inch rainbows there... Mems.
    Oh yes, they do get that big! Some go a bit bigger than that even. Have fun.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I have seen both rainbows and dollie varden over 30" landed on the Kenai. A 6 wt combined with the river's current could pose a reason to choose an 8 wt for that fish of a life time. I have always fished a 6 wt with a reserve 8 wt back up for the salmon- sockeyes, silvers, and steelhead only. A better solution is to ask in advance what the typical patterns for your timeframe would be, are they using large 10-12 millimeter split shot (and typically how many) and rabbit strips to represent large flesh patterns. Keep in mind that the 30" and larger fish are not the norm, but rather the exception that exist in the river. The longer rod length could also be argued, but not necessary. If you can already nymph and mend with a 9' rod, a longer rod is not necessary. Worse case scenario would be a 10' 6 wt. If you have it, bring it. If not, your guide should be equipped to cover all options. Just use their equipment if you feel under gunned for the task. It definitely sounds like a great opportunity to fish some of Alaska's most accessible waters with amazing scenery and vistas for both on and off the river.

Mems, I fish a 7 for trout. An 8 is overkill. Sometimes I fish a 6, but the 7 is best. When it opens there should be some sockeye and an 8 is good for them. However, sockeye are way behind this year on the Copper so who knows. The Kenai is very low. King salmon fishing has been poor so far. Just very few fish in any of the rivers. Who did you get for guides?

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will bring three rods, 6wt, and two 8wts, one 10 foot. Phil I am fishing with Dallas and Dustin Bladwin. I still need to book a day for halibut. The fishing is going off here, lots of big ahi around. Mems.
    Don Memmer