Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here own a teardrop trailer?

Default Anyone here own a teardrop trailer?

I am thinking about buying a teardrop trailer to make some of my fishing trips a little easier and less expensive. Specifically getting into harder to reach places more often, on those epic summer evening hatches. I am looking at primarily offroad models from a wide array of manufacturers.

Does anyone here have one? If so, I'd love to bend your ear or take a look at what you have to start better educating myself. I think I know what I want, but talking to an experienced owner might help solidify or get me thinking more comprehensively.

give it a real good try-on, for us too hard to get in&out,got to go outside to cook,have to climb over partner.

Quote Originally Posted by beachjumper1 View Post
    give it a real good try-on, for us too hard to get in&out,got to go outside to cook,have to climb over partner.
    good feedback, i am only considering models with double side entry doors to avoid the climb over problem.

they seem a reasonable balance of getting out of a tent and into more of a real "bed", storability/can put it in the garage at home, minimal impact on gas mileage when towing long distances, and small enough to be haulable into sketchier places off road.

still thinking...

Have ya heard the song..."I can't drive 55"......

My neighbor looked at those last summer and rented one online www.rvshare.com

They decided it was too much like camping and bought a small used Mercedes Sprinter motor home.

I've been doing the same research recently. I'm not a fan of big vehicles and I get enough tent action on other trips. Apparently there is a place in Petaluma that sells the off-road-type teardrops.

There is a guy in Sacramento that rents teardrops for $75.00 per night or $400.00 per week. Might be good to check out.
    https://www.happycamperteardroprenta...ls--rates.html

To Small! Not much better then tent camping! I vote for a ton 4x4 truck and a nice camper. Won't fit in your garage but you'll have heat, stove and maybe even a toilet. You can even mount a tv at the foot of your bed. Maybe not as "Cool" as a teardrop but more sensible IMO. Of course I'm almost 70 years and the thought of having to climb out of a teardrop 4 times a night to go scares me!

I am a fan of smaller popup tent trailers.

They have two large beds and will sleep 4 people.

I also like these popup cab over truck campers.

I wonder if you can rent something?

Looks like a teardrop is good for a couple?

Buying anything used is a way to go.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks for all the feedback/input...

More background, we are both 35 years old, so pretty agile/nimble (but yeah, much less so than 5 years ago!), most trips would be overnighters or maybe 2 nights...places like Milton Reservoir, Ah Di Na, Pit River, Pyramid is what we are trying to make more accessible.

Don't want the maintenance, insurance, and acquisition cost of a standalone motor home or truck with an overbed camper. Don't want the storage cost of a bigger travel trailer, or want to think about hauling something bigger than an R-Pod down the road to Ah Di Na...

Popup tent camper, not ideal for winter camping...possible exceptions are the hard side A-frame models that have appeared over the last few years, which are potentially compelling and probably worth a look.

Certainly would buy used, and yes, renting first for a couple times is a great idea.