Thread: Caution on the Yuba!

Default Caution on the Yuba!

Today on the Yuba River there were TWO boat crashs hitting something submerged just above or under the Hwy 70 bridge, If you think you want to try for stripers and or shad on the Yuba use extreme caution going near shad pad beach and the motorcycle track.

The first boat hit something mid-channel and had to call for help. The water patrol officer from Yuba Co. Sheriff's Dept. came to help assist with the damaged first boat, and while he's helping our own Maury Hatch goes zipping by and hits the same object ripping out the bottom of his boat as well.

As I understand it, our own Andy Guibord was there too and help Maury get to shore where he sits with his boat on it's side full of water.

I saw the pictures of Maury's damaged boat from my buddy Bill Siler who is also a water patrol officer. Maybe we can get Bill to post that picture.

I'm sure more details will come up but for now I'd forget going near the Yuba for anything.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

The Lower Yuba River from Daguerre Dam down stream to the mouth is one of the most dangers pieces of river I know of for jet boats.

There is lots of pieces of steel bars sticking up under the surface.

Running early and late in a jet boat can be dangerous.

PS: I sold my jet boat because at 70 I was just to old and slow to be driving on on these Nor Cal rivers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    The Lower Yuba River from Daguerre Dam down stream to the mouth is one of the most dangers pieces of river I know of for jet boats.

There is lots of pieces of steel bars sticking up under the surface.

Running early and late in a jet boat can be dangerous.

PS: I sold my jet boat because at 70 I was just to old and slow to be driving on on these Nor Cal rivers.
    The lower y should outlaw jet boats above hallwood Blvd plain and simple. Can’t beginnto describe the amount of boats I have seen run right over reds out their in the fall. Shad season and the summer heat brings all the yahoos put. Growing uomtheir I have seen numerous boat crashes. 99% of them involve idiots and booze or drugs.

Question Banning jet boats???

Hmmm,.... Not sure how banning jet boats above Hallwood Avenue would've had anything to do with what happened under the E Street bridge today??? Jet boats running over Salmon/Steelhead redds is a topic for another thread.

According to the county Sheriffs Water Patrol, the path taken by both boats involved was the safe one, based on recent experience. At this point, limiting professional Captains/guides businesses by banning their jet boats doesn't make sense to me. Neither captain was drunk. The hazard under that bridge needs to be marked in some fashion in order to prevent accidents of this nature in the future.

I agree that the Yuba can present navigation hazards during low water periods but I've been on Maury's boat and seen many jet boat drivers running that river during Shad season without running aground. There does seem to be a bunch of drunken locals on the water during that same period but usually they're on the bank. IMO there're responsible captains running that river (Maury Hatch being one) who do not drink and/or take un-necessary risks. I'm hoping Maury and his client are OK and his boat can be repaired or replaced quickly....

Tony B., Bill Siler, thanks for the heads up on this....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Two boats knocked out of commission in one day, ouch!
    Fortunately no one was hurt. Does anyone have any pictures of the location? That would certainly help us avoid the hazard, whatever it is.

Default Hazard

According to the note Bill Siler wrote on Blanton's Bulletin Board, the hazard is either under or near the E Street Bridge on the Yuba.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Hmmm,.... Not sure how banning jet boats above Hallwood Avenue would've had anything to do with what happened under the E Street bridge today??? Jet boats running over Salmon/Steelhead redds is a topic for another thread.

According to the county Sheriffs Water Patrol, the path taken by both boats involved was the safe one, based on recent experience. At this point, limiting professional Captains/guides businesses by banning their jet boats doesn't make sense to me. Neither captain was drunk. The hazard under that bridge needs to be marked in some fashion in order to prevent accidents of this nature in the future.

I agree that the Yuba can present navigation hazards during low water periods but I've been on Maury's boat and seen many jet boat drivers running that river during Shad season without running aground. There does seem to be a bunch of drunken locals on the water during that same period but usually they're on the bank. IMO there're responsible captains running that river (Maury Hatch being one) who do not drink and/or take un-necessary risks. I'm hoping Maury and his client are OK and his boat can be repaired or replaced quickly....

Tony B., Bill Siler, thanks for the heads up on this....
    Just making a comment. Not necessarily one responsive to the crash in question. Having posted over 7k times I’m sure you can appreciate that. None the less a true statement.