Thread: Where to float? Drift boat maiden voyage.

Default Where to float? Drift boat maiden voyage.

Hi guys, i am new to the forum, just found it and excited to join the community. I am a fly fisherman from the Truckee area looking for advice on a first float with my drift boat. I just build it and will be bringing my son, who is almost 3. American?, Sac, feather? Not looking for a lake but a mellow river. Is there a shuttle service around?

Thanks so much!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180418_164433_221.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	14103

Here is a picture of the vessel in case anyone is interested

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180415_163547_058.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	14104

Tom,
    I completed a day of fishing and a drift boat rowing lesson on the Trinity about two months ago--in the Lewiston area My teacher was an experienced guide and has many years under his belt.

I was surprised how much there was involved, but I did start catching on after several hours. For me it was an exercise in muscle memory. Reading the river was easier for me. I plan on returning in the Fall for more fishing and another lesson. Prior to even getting into the rowing seat, I watched a handful of videos on YouTube on the basics of rowing. They were helpful, but nothing like the real deal.

It's the shallow water that can get you into trouble, pitching the boat sideways when hitting an obstruction. So, my two cents is to first get someone to give you a few lessons. I would definitely wait allowing you son in the boat until you have gained enough skill. If something goes wrong, you will not be able to help him. That advice comes from several years running river rescue on the American (fire department).

Quote Originally Posted by daveiam View Post
    Tom,
    I completed a day of fishing and a drift boat rowing lesson on the Trinity about two months ago--in the Lewiston area My teacher was an experienced guide and has many years under his belt.

I was surprised how much there was involved, but I did start catching on after several hours. For me it was an exercise in muscle memory. Reading the river was easier for me. I plan on returning in the Fall for more fishing and another lesson. Prior to even getting into the rowing seat, I watched a handful of videos on YouTube on the basics of rowing. They were helpful, but nothing like the real deal.

It's the shallow water that can get you into trouble, pitching the boat sideways when hitting an obstruction. So, my two cents is to first get someone to give you a few lessons. I would definitely wait allowing you son in the boat until you have gained enough skill. If something goes wrong, you will not be able to help him. That advice comes from several years running river rescue on the American (fire department).
    Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it.

[QUOTE=Tom in Floriston;183402]Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it.[/QUOTE

I wouldn't do my first drift on the Trinity. Especially in a wooden. It is usually pretty skinny water up around Lewiston and you will hit a lot of rocks. Most people that drift the Trinity use either aluminum DBs or rafts. I have a fiberglass drifter that I have taken on the Trinity a few times. It has scars from each trip!

I think the American would be an easier first float. Plenty of room with mostly mellow rapids... all depending on flows of course. Don't know of any shuttle services on the A. The lower Sac out of Redding is a pretty mellow float(Again depending on flows) and there are shuttle options.

I think some people drift the Truckee in Nevada out by the conservancy.....

The video suggestion is a good one as is fishing with a guide. Let him know you that you also want to learn to row and I am sure they would help. LAstly, Hyde puts out an instructional video that I purchased and found very useful.

Good luck out there be safe(wear flotation). Moving water is no joke!

[QUOTE=BumpBailey;183410]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom in Floriston View Post
    Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it.[/QUOTE

I wouldn't do my first drift on the Trinity. Especially in a wooden. It is usually pretty skinny water up around Lewiston and you will hit a lot of rocks. Most people that drift the Trinity use either aluminum DBs or rafts. I have a fiberglass drifter that I have taken on the Trinity a few times. It has scars from each trip!

I think the American would be an easier first float. Plenty of room with mostly mellow rapids... all depending on flows of course. Don't know of any shuttle services on the A. The lower Sac out of Redding is a pretty mellow float(Again depending on flows) and there are shuttle options.

I think some people drift the Truckee in Nevada out by the conservancy.....

The video suggestion is a good one as is fishing with a guide. Let him know you that you also want to learn to row and I am sure they would help. LAstly, Hyde puts out an instructional video that I purchased and found very useful.

Good luck out there be safe(wear flotation). Moving water is no joke!
    Thanks so much, ya the Truckee has some floats , just want to cut my teeth in bigger water. Sounds like the American will be a good bet.

American shuttle....Uber dude. Remember the American runs through a heavily populated area. So Uber or a taxi is an option

I would say American or Lower Sac. Do not, I repeat, do not do your maiden voyage on the Trinity right now. The restoration program flow schedule is in effect, and it's a very different river than the one you rowed on last fall. It's not too high to run with a driftboat by any means, but it's not the best place to cut your teeth.

The Lower Sac seems like your best bet. From Posse Grounds to Bonnyview, there's only one or two tricky spots (hydraulics, not rapids). Same with Bonnyview to Anderson. Wear a pdf and row away from trouble. Hit trouble with the front of the boat. Bring a fly rod for the flats.

If you do the Lower Sac, there's a nice guy named Dwayne that runs shuttles. Call the Fly Shop and ask for his number.