Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Weight Rod Shopping

Default 3 Weight Rod Shopping

Hi!
    I am in the market for a 3 weight rod and have a budget of up to $200. I have been looking at the TFO 7'9 Lefty Kreh Finesse model and the Echo Carbon 7'3 XL model as the front runners. Looking for a rod to fish small streams that excels at accuracy and light presentation. Just checking to see if anyone can weigh in or provide any input on these 2 rods to help guide me with my decision....or if there are any other rods you would suggest in that price range. Thanks everyone much appreciated!

-Scott

In terms of price point the reddington butterstick isn't bad. I have one in a 7"6 3WT and I enjoy it on small streams, crappie/bluegill with kids, and some higher elevation brookies/goldens. Want to say its $199 or $249. I have an Orvis Superfine in a 3WT as well. (only Orvis rod I have). I enjoy that one as well. its a little slow action for some though. I can't really come to grips with spending big bucks on a rod below a 4WT. My 4-5WT's are Scott/Sage but they are used 90% of the time.

I had a TFO BVK 10 4wt a few years back and honestly it was a really nice high stick rod. Otherwise I don't have any experience with Echo.

Definitely pass on the Echo Carbon. I have one, and never liked it. It was way to noodle-y, and just didn't cast well.

I replaced that 3wt with the Echo3, which I now own four of (3,4,5, and 6wts). Out of your price range though, but a very good rod.

Probably a good idea to go to a flyshop and cast a few models.

Cabelas Stowaway 863-6 $150

8' 6" 3 wt. and casts perfectly not to mention can take it anywhere. I love it!
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

If the 3 weight you pick has a fast tip it might end up being a 4 weight rod?

I like 7'6" to 8' in a #3 weight for small stream dry fly.

Call Kiene's Fly Shop and ask Andy what he likes.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Redington Vice. Only $199 at Kiene's, and a dollar less than your budget.

The $1 extra can be used for the Lotto.

There's a Youtube shootout against the Sage X, and it does very well.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    Redington Vice. Only $199 at Kiene's, and a dollar less than your budget.

The $1 extra can be used for the Lotto.

There's a Youtube shootout against the Sage X, and it does very well.

Eric
    The Vice is awesome, I have two for my guests when I'm guiding on the North Fork Yuba River. I also have two Redington "Classic Trout" 3 weights, a inexpensive rod that is surprisingly good as well. If you really want a sweet glass rod, call up Dan LeCount and he will build you a rod with a Yasuyuki Kabuto blank. I got a chance to cast one of these rods a few years back and it was really sweet. - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    In terms of price point the reddington butterstick isn't bad. I have one in a 7"6 3WT and I enjoy it on small streams, crappie/bluegill with kids, and some higher elevation brookies/goldens. Want to say its $199 or $249. I have an Orvis Superfine in a 3WT as well. (only Orvis rod I have). I enjoy that one as well. its a little slow action for some though. I can't really come to grips with spending big bucks on a rod below a 4WT. My 4-5WT's are Scott/Sage but they are used 90% of the time.

I had a TFO BVK 10 4wt a few years back and honestly it was a really nice high stick rod. Otherwise I don't have any experience with Echo.
    I have a 7'6" Butterstick which is my "go to" rod for small stream and creek dry fly fishing. A true glass rod that is silky smooth when matched with a DT 3wt line. I also have a 8'6" TFO Professional 3wt. This rod is a little more versitle and I use it when high sticking (don't bobber fish) or if it is breezy. All things considered the Butterstick is more fun to catch fish with. Both are in your price point.

Redington Classic Trout...... 386-4 or 376-4 The CTs are well liked in the 3 weight category.

Be patient..... every now and then, Cabelas will run an unadvertised special on the CTs and certain FF forums will announce, etc. Under $100, sometimes $79.

A great value and tool for 'creek' fishing in the Sierras and you will not mind rockhopping the boulders or climbing through willows/bushes with this rod either.....

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    Redington Classic Trout...... 386-4 or 376-4 The CTs are well liked in the 3 weight category.

Be patient..... every now and then, Cabelas will run an unadvertised special on the CTs and certain FF forums will announce, etc. Under $100, sometimes $79.

A great value and tool for 'creek' fishing in the Sierras and you will not mind rockhopping the boulders or climbing through willows/bushes with this rod either.....
    Yes to all of this. I got a 7'6" 3wt CT from Cabelas last year for like $80. The rod casts as well as many 2-3x that price.

My girlfriend has a 6'2" 2wt echo glass that is pretty sweet. The 3wt would be expected to be a solid option if glass were preferred.

I also have the TFO finesse in a 6'9" 1wt. That rod is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on but is too specialized to be a "daily driver" even for small streams.