Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Weight Rod Shopping

Once you get a shorter light rod you will want to go places where you can use it.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

yes, the 3 wt echo glass is a nice rod. I switch between that and my Circa 2 wt for creekin.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    Redington Classic Trout...... 386-4 or 376-4 The CTs are well liked in the 3 weight category.

Be patient..... every now and then, Cabelas will run an unadvertised special on the CTs and certain FF forums will announce, etc. Under $100, sometimes $79.

A great value and tool for 'creek' fishing in the Sierras and you will not mind rockhopping the boulders or climbing through willows/bushes with this rod either.....
    Ditto this... love mine

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Ditto this... love mine
    Yeah, the CT is fun rod to fish........ very appropriate for most CA creek fishing..... if you know what I mean.

Another 'sleeper' was the first generation TFO 480-2 that sold for $89 or thereabouts. It was TFO's low end model with the green blank. Can't say the entire line up was great, but that one model is pretty darn good...... materials, resins, taper, etc. all matched the design.

It's a lot of fun finding the "diamonds in the rough".

Whatever rod you decide on make sure to buy from a local fly shop. They're going extinct quick. Try not to buy from Cabelas or BPS.

I’d recommend the vice as well
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

Consider a custom built rod. I fish a 7’9” 4pc 3wt built by Larry Lee from L3 rods. Love it. Although I can’t remember the exact price I’m sure it was less than $200. What I love about his rods are the quality reel seats and grips. The mass produced rods under $200 can sure have cheap components. It sure is nice to visit his shop in Sacramento and pick out exactly what you want
    "Safety was never compromised." Laura Brown, FAA spokeswoman