Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Montana Spring - recommendations

Agree with Frank, the bighorn is an excellent early season opportunity. My wife’s family lives an hour from there, sherisan wy. I have fished it probably 75x. Like most rivers harder mid summer but if you catch it before the runoff you may be ok. Below the dam by the lodges there are a ton of braids in the river that are easily wadable with lots of fish. This is a good river to tackle if u are guide free presuming u have an A game. Large olives - size 16 and scuds will be the go to’s. Best of luck.

Jv

A great scud is a lafontaine rip off of the sparkle pupa. Size 14-18; body of pink and olive. Tie it like a lafontaine pupa with a cdc underbody with a grey/white veil and i put a dun hackle on opposite side of the eye. Has worked for me.

Missouri usually fishes well in April and May

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    Missouri usually fishes well in April and May
    Rick J---For sure the MO in MT is definitely a spring option as I noted in my initial post on this thread. True as Yubaman mentioned; it is mainly a floating option; Steve137 did say he'd wade and float one day. There is limited wading available on the MO. Matter of fact the largest Rainbow we netted last year was the one day we did wade.

Also, on the Green in Flaming Gorge {WY), I've experienced fabulous, sight-fishing for surface-feeding 16"-20" Browns ingesting BWO's while wading the lower 1-1/2 to 2 miles upstream of Section A's 7 mile, boat take-out.

Frank R. Pisciotta
    www.cyberfly.com
    530-587-7333
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 04-06-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Henry's Fork may be in better shape than any MT options this spring with their fat snowpack.

Thanks everyone.

Henry's fork is on the list. Fished Silver creek by not HF.

Another place to look up on.

i spent 3 weeks on the Missouri last year wading. Will be there for 3 months this year. Just have to do some research. But would also second HF and SC though SC does not open until late May. The Big Lost is another option though wading can be problematic as flows really can fluctuate. Lots of options up around West Yellowstone

Missouri would be a great idea if the other area rivers are blown out. Tons of wading access available, even at higher flows. Dont get stuck in the Holter-Craig section as a majority of the good wading options are down by Cascade. Caddis and PMD's should be out in force at that time, if flows are up look for noses along the bank... there should be plenty!