Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2018 AR Shad Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Only when to fish Verona once but didn’t even try because guys were soaking bait for stripers on the sand bar at the mouth. If I had a boat I’d be trying Verona and Discovery right now. The American is starting to clear but they are not in yet. Things should be heating up in 2 or 3 weeks.
    Was I with you on that trip? I remember going there one year but same thing striper guys soaking bait... and if I remember correctly they where wading haha! Must be tough on the arm!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Yeah Aron, but we then went to the American and you caught the first shad of the year down low.

Even with a boat (I actually anchor up an inflatable kayak), Verona is pretty hectic, with constant traffic of various kinds out of the launch, and almost always a boat lineup along the prime zone. But if the fish are there, I might just give it go soon.

My buddy and I tried a motorboat at Discovery last year, and just didn't seem to have a line heavy enough to get down to the fish. Gear guys with serious weights were getting shad, but the best we could do was a fouled anchor

thanks for the info jeff

About 50 years ago in June at Upper Goethe Park / River Bend Park (the hot spot) there would be 50 to 100 people waded out, mostly fly fishers in waders.

All using 9' #9 line fiberglass fly rods with mono shooting line and ~30' shooting heads in faster sinkrates.

Shad flies were larger than today, #4 - #6 chrome hooks (EC 1197 N) with silver tinsel bodies and chartreuse or hot orange trim with a white hackle collar.

Joe Shirshac tied these flies for several of the local sporting goods stores like Sports Unlimited and the Tower f Sports.

I imagine the school of Shad there was 50 to 100 yards long and in huge numbers.

Old timers would complain if they did not land 100 Shad per day.

We always said that the American Shad were put here for practice to get good so you could catch Steelhead.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

No shad on the American for me yet. Heard a few are being caught on the Sac near Discovery Park so any day now.

i dont know if anyone discussed this but i probably missed it. how do shad migrate up the american. do they hang out and start their move up area by area or do they just head up to spawn and head back down and out?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishingNewb View Post
    i dont know if anyone discussed this but i probably missed it. how do shad migrate up the american. do they hang out and start their move up area by area or do they just head up to spawn and head back down and out?
    Shad are 'batch-spawners' which means that they have sequential development of eggs throughout the spawning season (unlike anadromous salmonids). So shad will migrate up river in response to increasing temperature and flow, they'll spawn and hang around in the river until they are ready to spawn again. Also, unlike anadromous salmonids, shad don't necessarily die after spawning, but can go back to the ocean and return in subsequent years to spawn.
    Last edited by Alosa; 04-23-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishingNewb View Post
    They gradually make their way up river. Spawning happens when water temp is near 58* +-

Although records show that it can be between 12c* to 18c*
    Last edited by winxp_man; 04-23-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

The water temp on the Sac has been 63+degrees for several weeks now. Just about every striper over there is spilling milt waiting for the hens to show. So, if temperature is the only factor they ought to be all the way up to Rd.48 or Chico by now.

The water in the Feather is running 52-53 degrees (10 degrees cooler) which is maybe why they hang out at Verona and wait for the water to warm.? Maybe ?
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180