Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2018 AR Shad Reports

Looks like it might be over. 20 yesterday and none during the day today and only 2 this evening. When they leave it’s overnight. You can head them off as they leave in mass. You just have to be in the right spot!

I guess they don't all die like salmon?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Shad are like steelhead. Some go back to the salt multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Looks like it might be over. 20 yesterday and none during the day today and only 2 this evening. When they leave it’s overnight. You can head them off as they leave in mass. You just have to be in the right spot!
    I haven't been there recently... but lower Grist Mill (from the tree stick ups and isthmus near Rio Americano back channel and bays on the north side of river down to Sarah Park (on South side) tends to hold shad longer in the season than other spots on the river.

That said... I did see quite a few shad and some spawning going on at the north side of river across from the cove and dog beach this evening as I finished up striper fishing.

Thanks Mark! I’m not stopping until I get skunked several days in a row. I need 22 more!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    With the amount of people on the river between the race and the rafters this weekend, I'm surprised anything wouldn't have hightailed to quiet water below Watt.
    Fished below watt and down to H street not a sign of any shad. Salmon, striper, sucker, sac pikeminnow yes.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Earle and I did a short float this evening and got only 10 to the boat. I think it over. I’ll post stats for this run tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    With the amount of people on the river between the race and the rafters this weekend, I'm surprised anything wouldn't have hightailed to quiet water below Watt.
    The race started at the Sunrise Bridge Saturday... so I fished from above the bridge to the USGS cable and hooked fish in every hole I fished. Of course, I was fishing stripers, not shad...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Earle and I did a short float this evening and got only 10 to the boat. I think it over. I’ll post stats for this run tomorrow.
    Was that you in the Willie I talked to today? I never saw you cast, lol... I ended up 6 for 10 on stripes. 3 guys came down in the spot under the trees below the dog beach and were whackin' the shad pretty good about an hour after you left (if that was you guys

That was Joe Vasquez (Fish Habit Outfitters) with two clients that never touched a fly rod before. We were way down lower. I’m going to have to try that area. Got a shaker striper today above the Sunruse boat ramp.