Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2018 AR Shad Reports

Well Jeff,
    You ARE saving me some gas.....
    Glad you and Earl are finding some interest yet, as this is still one of our FAVORITE threads!
    .....lee s.

Floated with Earle today but it was dead slow. We didn’t even get into double digits like we have been getting during the day. Save your gas money unless you are local and can fish the last hour of light.

When back out his evening and got a dozen but only after the sun got off the water. Tony, Tim and Mikey showed up and did about the same using gear with flies.

Got three on the surface, lost two, missed a bunch of very short grabs. I got one at 8:30, then not a touch until 9. Came home, took both the Spey and switch rods out of the “ready rack” and broke them down, put the shad fly box away, and called it a season. It was a good one, best I’ve had on the surface (and for incidental .5 pounders) in several years. Good way to end it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    When back out his evening and got a dozen but only after the sun got off the water. Tony, Tim and Mikey showed up and did about the same using gear with flies.
    Ahhhh... you were with ALL the hoodlums of the river at once With flows higher than they have been in any July I can remember, the shad will surely exit the river quickly this year.

I’m thinking after the next full moon they will be gonzo. Fished mid day and found a bucket and did well for about an hour then they moved. Went back this evening and picked up 10 in the last hour. Broke the 1900 mark today and the hot fly was the Maria.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 07-17-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Fished yesterday mid day and evening and got double digits. It was better mid day than the evening.

Fished mid day today and didn’t get a bump for a couple of hours using 12.5 ft of T11 and a double fly setup. Tried a fly I tied using a heavy jig head I found in the river (one of the many snags of tackle I’ve dregded up). Ended up getting double digits. I guess you have to go deep during the day.

Went back out this evening. Only a handful of anglers. It was very slow and only got single digits. I need about 3 good days to reach my goal!

Dead during the day today. Only got one but did land a wild halfpounder. Went back this evening and there were only 3 other anglers. End up with 10. Looks like the run is dying out fast. Hope I make my goal!.