Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2018 AR Shad Reports

It has been a tough week for me. Fished mid day with only a handful of anglers in the area but got into double digits. Went on a short float with Earle this evening and it wasn’t red hot but we got over 30 to the boat. There were more boats on the river this evening than any day this whole run. I counted 9 boat trailers at the Sunrise ramp and Andy told me that there were 7 boats at the Beaver Hole.

Fished mid day and there was only a handful of anglers. By 1 pm there was only one other guy and I was by myself at 2 pm. Went back this evening and a lot of anglers mostly gear guys showed up. Ended up with double digits for the day. Hot flies were Lee Soares’ Surf Candy and my Red Headlight.

Fished mid day with two other anglers and by noon I was by myself. Went back this evening and there were only a handful of anglers and a few boats. Hot flies were Earle Sloan’s Ronald McDonald during the day and my Red Headlight this evening. It’s definitely slowing down but if you’re a diehard like me you still can get a few.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-30-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Fished mid day by myself. It was slow and only got single digits. Did a short float with Earle this evening and it was very slow but we managed over 20. Surf Candy during the day and Red Headlight this evening.

Jeff, Looks like it is slowing down.....

Time to head up to the mountains (5,000'+) or the coast to get cool.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Yes, Bill it’s slowing down. My May daily average was 29 per day and 27 per day in June (lowered by the catch rate this past week). We’ll see what July brings. There’s a lot less anglers and boats so if you want to catch a few get out right away because it’s not going to last too much longer!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 07-02-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Definitely a bummer on Shad slowing down.

I was recently told by a bicyclist that there were a lot of Shad in the William Land Park area. Apparently he could see them from the bridge. I have never been in that area so I am not that familiar with the bridge he was referring to.

Has anyone had any luck in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    Definitely a bummer on Shad slowing down.

I was recently told by a bicyclist that there were a lot of Shad in the William Land Park area. Apparently he could see them from the bridge. I have never been in that area so I am not that familiar with the bridge he was referring to.

Has anyone had any luck in that area?
    William Land Park is where the Sacramento Zoo is located.

Could the bicyclist perhaps have meant William B. Pond area?

That is where the Arden-Goethe Bridge crosses the American River and it definitely holds shad...

I personally will be very happy when the shad are all gone and it does tend to be a fast exodus in high water years...

River going up to 5,000 CFS on the 7th of July, 2018 by the way...

Very slow during the day with 10 anglers (mostly gear). Went back this evening and there were about 20 anglers (75% gear) and it was slow except for a few. Got to make double digits and broke the 1600 mark. I’m trying to beat Tony’s record of 2029 set last year (using gear but with flies). It doesn’t look like I’m going to make it because it’s winding down but I’ll keep at it until it’s over.

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    William Land Park is where the Sacramento Zoo is located.

Could the bicyclist perhaps have meant William B. Pond area?

That is where the Arden-Goethe Bridge crosses the American River and it definitely holds shad...

I personally will be very happy when the shad are all gone and it does tend to be a fast exodus in high water years...

River going up to 5,000 CFS on the 7th of July, 2018 by the way...
    I probably got the places confused. Why will you be happy when the Shad are gone?