Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2018 AR Shad Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Brutally slow today. Only 2 and 3 LDRs. Fished 3 different spots and there was only a handful of anglers at the first spot and no one else at the other two. Landed a 20” hen that would have weighed 5 lbs but it was spawned out and skinny so it was only 4 lbs.
    I heard of fresh shad at the mouth 2 days ago so get ready for another solid push of fish... I think this year may be the longest sustaining shad run our river has seen in a long while. I'm pretty sure this year's size class is among the best in 30 years. I hope this translates to an equally-healthy run of salmon in the late summer/fall. The stripers will always be okay because of their adaptable nature...

I guess American Shad, like Salmon and Steelhead, can have a really good year out in the ocean feeding up on small organisms.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Great to hear Mark!

Almost 50 to the boat on a float today with Earle. There were some fresh hens in the mix. We anchored at a spot where we saw some big hen (5 lbs+) making a loop. They went by the boat twice cruising along a drop off.

Another slow day! Only 5 to hand and 1 LDR. Saw a dozen other anglers and didn’t see any of them with bent rods. At this point of the run early and late is the name of the game because the shad are hunkering down deep during the middle of the day.

As this is my first year in the shad game it is interesting to follow this thread and see how it can be lights out one day, and dead the next. I guess that really speaks to the fact that these fish pod up and move up and down quickly. It has been interesting to learn about this fishery first hand this year.

Still pretty slow. Fished mid day and this evening and there weren’t many anglers. Boats did ok this evening especially when the sun got off the water. We’ll have to see if they stick around after this next full moon.

Fished for 4 hours mid day and only got 2 small males. A handful of anglers were out when I got there and they were all gone by noon. Saw only one fish caught between them. I think the shad that are left in the river are hunkering down deep resting for the full moon party!

Fished the last 2 hours of light. A dozen and half other anglers out but it was very slow. I ended up with 7 using my Red Headlight fly.

I definitely have not been having as much action as I was in May but I did catch 5 on a Prince nymph last Tuesday.