Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2018 AR Shad Reports

Heres a video of a catch

https://youtu.be/7BKcK6MDM5A

Good job.....thanks for sharing......pictures are cool but videos are wonderful.

That should inspire more people to get out.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Not sure about inspire lol thanks for the kind feedback bill

Epic day! Almost 40 during the day and Earle and I put 60+ to the boat this evening. I broke the 1200 mark today!

Had a pretty good day fishing with no one near me. Double digits but it was work. The last hole I was fishing had no one in sight until a bobber guy showed up, walked above me and started fishing without saying anything except asking me if I was catching trout. His bobber drift cut me off from casting and I told him this won’t work. I let him have the hole because I told him fly fishing and bobber fishing can’t coexist. His rely was “What do you want me to use?” He was dead set on fishing where he was so I went home. Sometimes you run across people that are dead set on fishing a specific spot (rock #1259) because they caught a fish there once and it would take a stick of dynamite to move them. I’ve seen fly fishermen do it too so Im not singling out anyone A little courtesey goes a long way. I always ask if it’s ok to fish a run if someone is already fishing and where it would’ve fine with other angler. Most are accommodating but there are a rare few that are not. Ok rant over, tomorrow is another day!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-16-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Had a pretty good day fishing with no one near me. Double digits but it was work. The last hole I was fishing had no one in sight until a bobber guy showed up, walked above me and started fishing without saying anything except asking me if I was catching trout. His bobber drift cut me off from casting and I told him this won’t work. I let him have the hole because I told him fly fishing and bobber fishing can’t coexist. His rely was “What do you want me to use?” He was dead set on fishing where he was so I went home. Sometimes you run across people that are dead set on fishing a specific spot (rock #1259) because they caught a fish there once and it would take a stick of dynamite to move them. I’ve seen fly fishermen do it too so Im not singling out anyone A little courtesey goes a long way. I always ask if it’s ok to fish a run if someone is already fishing and where it would’ve fine with other angler. Most are accommodating but there are a rare few that are not. Ok rant over, tomorrow is another day!

Jeff I know what your are saying 100%!!! This past steelhead season, fishing the coast and American river on a regular basis..... I would come across lots of anglers. Fly guys, Bobber guys on both sides (fly, and gear), gear guys and so on. I would ask everyone I would come across what direction they where working the water, and if it was okay for me to fish above or below depending on what direction they would plan in fishing. And not one, not two almost all would tell me how they appreciated my ethics, and that I was a fist to ask them if it was okay to fish in the area they would be fishing! Courtesy does go a long ways, and I feel many don’t care or want to be gentlemen!
    Way to go Jeff and you took the higher road bud!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I would use my old trick. If they are on your right side, I start casting side arm and get the fly close to them. They hear that little fly whistle by their ear, they will eventually move.

If you have someone wading out too far down below you, just hook their wader once. It works......

I have been in a Shad line up 40 years ago where everyone was 10 feet apart.....scary.

I once took my friend's hat off with a fly.

I have fished 100% barbless for 40 years.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Got down to the river about 11 am and it was good at first. Lots of anglers and some full stringers. There was no one around at 3 pm thanks to Father’s Day. Still got into double digits and even a double on my two flies (Maria and Firecracker). Good thing the were just two males and not 2 big hens!

Jeff,

Do you go out at the earliest time you an get into the river system?

Some probably walk in at 6:00am?

I always fished Shad after work during the week for a few hours.

Thanks for the wonderful on going report........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958