Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2018 AR Shad Reports

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    Set ups are more to do with the room you have or don't have to make a backcast...... two-handed set ups open up more areas to fish....... otherwise, single handed fly rod, a mono running line and an assortment of different sink rate shooting heads are just as effective today as they were decades ago. It's the "pilot" not the "plane". No need to go out and spend like crazy on a set up for Shad fishing. I am sure what you have and consider "antiquated" is just fine.

On another note, there are some that wind mono line around an empty coffee can that are quite talented at hooking Shad too.
    I appreciate the feedback. What I'm using seems to be working so i think I'll stick with it. Im a single hand rod guy but I've got a goood roll cast so i make it work. Ive been enjoying my time on the river this week. Thanks again.

That last hour or two is a good idea........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    I must be slipping. I’ve seen some big hen caught!! Biggest so far 22.5 incher!
    My buddy Ray has caught a few 24" shad this season and it does seem to me that they are running large this year (judging by stringers I've seen on my way to the stripers). Have you also noticed that?

Yes, big shad are being caught. Saw a 22.5 in hen caught and a bobber guy told me he got a 23 incher yesterday. Tough fishing today but managed to get double digits. Fished 4 different spots and only saw other anglers at the first location.

Very slow this morning. Must be because of the flow increase. Quite a few weekend warriors out but hardly any catching.

Just wondering if you guys think color of the Shad fly makes a big difference? I was using a double fly setup yesterday and the only one that was getting bitten was a red one with a iridescent tail that I bought at Kiene's ( thanks for the recommendation). Used a white and an orange with white tail as a 2nd fly and although I lost a few fish everyone that I brought in was on the red one.

Next change the position of the flies and see what happens?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

The Bloody Maria works. Earle and I got over 70 to the boat this evening and even when Earle lost his dropper fly the Maria still produced. It started out slow and very scattered but we were slaying ‘em when the sun got off the water!

Over 30 shad to the boat on a midday float. Busy day on the river with lots of bank anglers, boats and rafters. Tomorrow should be nuts!

I think that June is our top month for wading in the Valley rivers for Shad.

The Sacramento, Feather, Yuba and American all have plenty of fish in them now.

If you fish he last few hours in the day you will have a better chance of catching something.

Captain Andy Guibord can get you into some Shad and teach you some of his secrets.

https://andyguibord.wordpress.com/guiding-instruction/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958