Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2018 AR Shad Reports

Go into the shop on Sunday and talk to Andy. He’ll set you up!

He set me up with the system I use a couple of years ago. Fished with him one day and learned a bunch. Sounds like I need to check in again for a update. Thanks.
    Last edited by rrlynch; 05-22-2018 at 07:39 PM.

glad they finally made it to el manto! love lunch fishing! id upload a picture but its not working

Please make the following release changes to the American River at Nimbus:

Date Time From (cfs) To (cfs)
    5/26/18 0800 3,000 3,500

Comment: Delta Salinity

Issued by: Peggy Manza
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

It was very slow today with a very inconsistent bite. Hardly anyone was out this morning and most of the day probably due to the cold. When I left the after work crowd started showing. Still got into double digits but it was not red hot like it was before the flows went up. I'm looking forward to the increase to 3500 cfs because it will open up more areas.

Finding a lot of big Shad on the A. I thought you retired?
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

I must be slipping. I’ve seen some big hen caught!! Biggest so far 22.5 incher!

Quote Originally Posted by rrlynch View Post
    What is the preffered equipment setup? Based on what you said I'm running an antiquated one myself. I got out and caught a few last night but if an update in gear is necessary to increase my success I'd like to know.

Thanks!

Robert
    Set ups are more to do with the room you have or don't have to make a backcast...... two-handed set ups open up more areas to fish....... otherwise, single handed fly rod, a mono running line and an assortment of different sink rate shooting heads are just as effective today as they were decades ago. It's the "pilot" not the "plane". No need to go out and spend like crazy on a set up for Shad fishing. I am sure what you have and consider "antiquated" is just fine.

On another note, there are some that wind mono line around an empty coffee can that are quite talented at hooking Shad too.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 05-23-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Got into double digits midday Wednesday and caught some of the biggest shad I have caught in some years. A couple were around the 5lb range! It was really windy and we just kept moving...picking up a few in almost every spot we fished. The largest one jumped about 5 times and took me out to my backing and then some. I thought it was a steelhead on the first couple jumps but saw it at a different angle and knew it was a big shad. Really fun! We had to work for them though...they didn't come easy that day!

Fished during the day. It was dead slow probably due to the flow increase. Tried 4 different spots and didn't get anything at the first 3 spots but found a bucket at the last one. Got into double digits but lost a 15 ft sink tip that is being dragged around a big shad that broke the loop on my Skagit head. I nailed knotted a loop in the head and threw on another sink tip and kept on fishing.