Thread: Gluing Foam

Default Gluing Foam

I'm trying to tie up some Rydare Mouse patterns. I'm to the point where you double the foam back on itself and glue it. The Zap CA I had doesn't work in gluing the foam. Went to the store and bought Krazy Glue, which didn't work either. What can I use to glue foam to itself?

Gorilla Glue for strike 3.

Try Eastman 333 adhesive or 3M contact cement. Both are a spray on application. It is a bit messier and tacky until it dries. Mask the area that you do not wish to be affected. I would spray the foam prior to assemblage and just let it dry. A possible better idea is to use an accelerator on cyanoacrylate glues. The CA glue sets up immediately to within 2 seconds. You can find it in hobby shops or R/C stores. The problem is finding a CA glue that does not react with water as a solvent. CA is a lot stiffer when it sets up compared to the first two adhesives. You will have to mask the area where the foam does not touch where the foam is pulled back.

I have only used the first two adhesives mentioned when layering sheets of foam for LMB and saltwater poppers. Give the CA accelerator a try with a thicker CA adhesive. The hobby shops and R/C shops will have the thicker CA glues.

Best of luck!

I use the cheap super glue from Dollar tree. You get 4 or 5 small bottles with caps for a buck. You have to apply the glue, then hold the foam together for a few seconds. If you watch closely, you can see the glue set, which will be indicated by a small puff of smoke and crystallization of the liquid glue. I'm not sure if this is a chemical reaction between the glue and the foam but I only notice this when I use this glue on foam. Never seems to happen when using it on thread, feathers, lead...etc.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9a.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	14017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9b.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	14018I use 3M contact cement to glue up layers of foam for bass poppers. The foam will tear before the layers separate.
    Last edited by DLJeff; 03-30-2018 at 07:37 AM.

Thank you for the pointers. I'll try again this p.m. I'm thinking after I put the glue on I'll hold it for a while, then clamp it with one of those hair clips ladies use.

I was driving by a hobby shop today, so I pulled in. They had a product called Foam Tac. I bought it, brought it home and tried it. Worked immediately. You might want to check that product out.

John,

I use CA glue to glue up my Crease flies, I buy mine at the hobby shop for $2.50 and they claim it goes off in 5-10 second...If you need it to go off faster then that sprinkle Backing soda on it and it will go instantaneous, no need for that accelerator CANCER smelling stuff. I am scared to death to use that stuff. When using the CA glue compression seems to work best, hold it some how hard and firm....my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge