Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch rod suggestion - CA coastal

Default Switch rod suggestion - CA coastal

I'm looking at a TFO 11' 8 weight Deer Creek for smaller CA coastal rivers. Thoughts? Over-gunned?
    Thanks

Depends a bit on what your tossing. A 7wt switch is pretty capable, and I’ve even fished the costal streams a fair bit with a 6wt. That said I do use an 8wt from time to time, and it can be nice if I’m looking to deal with some heavy flows and big flies. Depending on what you’re calling “smaller” an 8wt is probably more rod than you need 90% of the time. If you are talking about fishing the Smith... an 8wt would be helpful quite often in the heavy currents and deeper runs. If I could only have one rod for the coast, and wanted to fish in a wide range of flows/conditions, I think something in the 12’ 7wt realm would be pretty ideal.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Sounds like a good choice to me. I fish my 11' 8 wt Echo3 a ton on the coast. I like having a little extra power for tips, big flies, and landing fish more quickly just in case I need it.

Thanks for replies. I’m thinking Garcia, Gualala and other rivers in the area. Would mostly plan on throwing tips and Skagit.

Even the TFO Deer Creek 12'6' 5/6 would be pretty sweet. Used it for a couple of seasons in Western Alaska for 12-15 lb silvers. I only used a 2.5 T-14 7.5 floater MOW with it. Wind only hampered me last season, but still fished it any way with a heavier Skagit line. Worst day was a head on wind enough to produce white caps on the river we fished. An older angler in his 80's throwing a single handed rod suggested casting diagonal instead of straight into the wind. Worked great as we were the only anglers that stuck with it and produced fish that day.

I always like and agree with "gitt's" posts. Besides, who could fang that classy avatar pic?
    I have the Echo fiberglass 3-wt switch and love it. They do come in bigger weights and are half
    the price of graphite. Maybe Kiene will have some available for test casts at the April open house.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouter925 View Post
    Thanks for replies. I’m thinking Garcia, Gualala and other rivers in the area. Would mostly plan on throwing tips and Skagit.
    7wt is probably the best all around option for those waters. I use a 6wt Echo3, personally. Haven't felt undergunned yet, nor have I felt that I overplayed a fish.

I also have a 5wt Redington, which I use a bit on the Trinity for scandi.

I have the 7 wt and cut back a 625 skagit to around 18 feet so comes in the upper 400 grain range and will throw any chicken you wold care to launch )

Hi there,
    8# rods are safe buddy, if you need beef you will have it, agreed a quality 7# is good..buuuuuuut we all know in fishing expect the unexpected, take an intermediate switch on your spare spool, mix it up a bit
    SeaTrooter
    We have one life and the world at our feet, Love it, Fish it take a picture not a Priest.
    Tight Lines
    Happy to answer any questions on our fishing this side of the pond.

Thanks Sea Trooter

Nice to have someone from Scotland on our board.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........