Thread: Hard Boiled Leech

Default Hard Boiled Leech

Dipping a leech fly (or any) pattern tied with coarser synthetics changes the profile fairly significantly. A slimmer more leech-like appearance. It fishes better IMO. The idea has been around for some time. Give it a try.

Hook: TMC 200, size 10
    Bead(s): 3.0mm black tungsten followed by 8/0 red ruby, silver lined glass bead.
    Thread: Glitter Thread, red
    Tail: Simi Seal, Candian black (reasonable thin)
    Underbody: Thin layer of Glitter Thread
    Overbody (or ribbing) Simi Seal, Canadian black spun in a dubbing loop and ribbed with 4 or 5 turns.

The first picture displays a finished fly before dipping. The fly was brush, pinched, compressed, etc., in an attempt to flatten the profile and somewhat straighten the fibers. You'll find that the pattern doesn't quite flatten to a more natural leech-like appearance- even when fished. However, you'll find the pattern productive.

Below features a pattern dipped a few times in boiling water for 15-seconds or slightly less. Stroke the fibers rearward after you remove the fly from the water. I use hemostats. Notice how the body slims down and the fibers flow smooth over the body? The straighter fibers will provide better movement!

I used two thin coats of thin UV resin over the thread wraps and glass bead. UV resin will better protect the Glitter Thread from unraveling and give a totally different look and light refraction to the bead.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I am off to work!
    You shoulda been here yesterday!

Very nice! I like the glass bead idea. I often add a hotspot with UV ice dub behind the metal bead.

Nice tie, although that "Canadian black" is my least successful color, for whatever reason. Canadian brown on the other hand almost always produces.

I like the idea of a UV coat on the bead, SST. That is traditionally the weakest point of the "Ruby-eyed Leech" and I'll have to see if a coat of UV acrylic will increase the durability of the bead.
    -JD

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Nice tie, although that "Canadian black" is my least successful color, for whatever reason. Canadian brown on the other hand almost always produces.

I like the idea of a UV coat on the bead, SST. That is traditionally the weakest point of the "Ruby-eyed Leech" and I'll have to see if a coat of UV acrylic will increase the durability of the bead.

Funny you mention "least successful color." I try and remove most of the yellow fibers before tying! Seems to be the trick- at least to me!

The UV resin definitely prolongs the life. With that being said I cannot recall the glass breaking at all.

I fish a lot of glass beads at Putah and never had an issue after a good coating or two.
    You shoulda been here yesterday!