Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on tight line nymph rods/rigging

Some great information guys. Amazing how much knowledge is out there! The nail knot comment is spot on because the Loop/Loop is way to bulky. Really like the long leader design as well. Thx for sharing. I started using the Rio indicator tippet last year. Good stuff but you can also use a section of amnesia (cheaper).
    Good luck!

I have fished both the 10/4 and the 11/3 hydrogen on the Upper Sac. Both perform well. I think the 10/4 is the better of the two.
    That said, I would recommend you learn the techniques with whatever 4 or 5 wt you already have, then decided on the rod to use after you have an idea of how tight-lining works. You do not need a new rod to learn tight-line unless you are just looking for a excuse to buy a new rod.

If you are not in a hurry, come on up to the Upper Sac and you can learn about tight-lining and also try out both those rods on the water before you buy.

I went to a 10.5 ft rod a few years ago. I bought the Cortland competition nymph rod in 4wt.
    Kind of an odd name....I do not compete with it and never will, except for trying to outfish my
    buddies.

The length is great for bigger rivers where you have a little more room to cast like the Truckee,
    Feather, lower Sac. But for any place like the Pit, Upper Sac, it becomes a hindrance as you'll
    constantly be smacking the trees above you with the extra length. For those rivers, stick with
    a standard 9 footer.

That said, with the extra 1.5 ft it just chucks an indicator effortlessly, and for tight lining sans
    indo, it has a nice soft tip to detect strikes.

I paired it with with a WF 4wt, In Touch Rio Gold. I wouldn't over line it as you're probably already
    fishing weighted flies, or split shot above your fly. Mine loads just fine.

It's one of my favorite rods in my arsenal. It also throws dries, but not great with the softer tip.

Eric O

On the T I use the Sage ESN 1103...
    It will throw a nice dry with a 5wt line.. (high sticking a dry as well is amazing), a light indy set up (not an industrial nymph rig), and of course high sticking merican style or euro.
    It will handle to 26"+ if you know how to move/fight a fish....that means run...not stand there and watch. Fight'em down and dirty, don't lift too much.......
    I used a WF line for a while...then got a euro line. Am happier now.
    I always have a bit of line out, because I don't want to lose a fish (or break a rod...) because of the terminal knot catching even for a second......
    Unless fishing a dry, I never overhand cast with nymph set up. Lob..........
    Once spring melt begins, and water is "off", you can fish under your tip against shore.......no wading needed.
    Later, when water clears, you gotta wade....you will need to study herons for proper form........
    The 4wt feels like a 5wt+.......a tad much unless you talk to bigun's often.
    I rarely fish short sticks anymore......
    The drift is best tended with extra reach...
    I carry the bigger brother as my second rod....the Sage 11ft 6wt X switch......for far applications, and piggies.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 03-20-2018 at 10:42 AM.

I will second Domenic's website...great info