Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Peninsula Steelhead trip

Default Olympic Peninsula Steelhead trip

Three buddies and I made our annual steelhead run up to the Olympic Peninsula a couple of weeks ago. This was our third year for this trip, and we had just made a successful coastal California trip two weeks before this, so we were very stoked to head up there. We based out of the town of Forks, which put us within 30 minutes reach of 4 major rivers that have runs. Forks is pretty limited on dining options, especially on anything half decent for quality.

We had some good weather, as we only had a half day of serious rain on the first day of fishing. When we talk serious rain, it's a pretty different scale up here, as annual rainfall can hit 200+" in many areas. Beyond the first day, it was favorable weather, mostly cloudy and cool.

Each one of us had at least a couple of good days on the water out of the 4 days that we fished. The fish being caught are between 3 and 10 miles out of the ocean, depending on where you fish, so there are some hot fish in the water. Each of us were fortunate to land at least one steelhead in the 18 lb. range. It's kind of funny when you land what you think is a decent fish and the guide says, " Aw, it's only a 10 lb. fish"!!!!

For the hardcore steelheader, this is a great destination trip. The weather can go ugly in a hurry, and the rivers can blow out in a heartbeat, but then it wouldn't really be steelhading without that? The good news is that the rivers are pretty short and get back into shape in a hurry. A half inch of rain is nothing for these rivers. It is certainly a beautiful area to fish, very, very scenic. Below are a few pictures . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180301_094923_resized.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	13963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180228_110420_resized.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	13964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OP steel.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	13965  

My good friend and Steelhead guide Mike McCune said the winter run fish on the coastal rivers of Nor Cal, Oregon and Washington are some of the last large wild Steelhead left in the world which makes chasing them worth while.

If a new comer to serious classic winter Steelheading can land one fresh run coastal hen of about 10 pounds they will be hooked forever.

I was lucky to have fished the California north coast rivers some for Steelhead in the 1970s.

Just seeing the violent fight of a wild Steelhead is spectacular to watch.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The fish we caught here on the Eel and Van Duzen were actually brighter and more chrome than the fish in Washington. The average size of fish seems to be a little bigger up there on the OP. Either way, the rip on that reel of that first run is epic. Cheap reels don't have a long life span in either place.

Thanks YubaMan

I am 73 this month and am a little sad that I don't feel up to chasing the winter run anymore but your report gives me hope that other are still taking the risk.

**I have many fond memories of being so cold chasing winter Steelhead, wading in Pyramid Lake and duck hunting in my younger days.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Nice job on getting out there, Yubaman. That is what it is all about.

In what looks like it was a nice weather day up there, look at this toad that they landed on the Hoh yesterday . . .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hoh steelhead.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	13972

awesome fish but be nicer if head and gills were in the water. Makes a good photo great

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    awesome fish but be nicer if head and gills were in the water. Makes a good photo great
    Like the one in your profile photo?

Illegal to remove native steelhead from the water in washington. Should make that a rule wherever they swim.

Not sure if we want to carry all the paraphernalia to determine if a fish is native or just WILD......and kudos to STEELIES/26c3
    I do believe in respecting our fish, I don't believe in pampering them....nature sure doesn't.
    ....lee s.
    Last edited by lee s.; 03-21-2018 at 09:03 AM.