Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olympic Peninsula Steelhead trip

So guys, just to make it clear . . . I did not catch the Steelhead, I did not take the picture, I was not there. Just passing along a picture of a nice fish that someone landed up there. It is correct, Washington says leave them in the water.

Steelies - I take your point and that photo is from 8 years ago and one of the last times I have ever gone for a "hero" shot. Since then I have read much more about impacts to fish out of water and been involved as the CA TU representative for TUs Wild Steelhead Initiative. I cringe some about past handling practices. I will say that my fish in question was out for less than 10 seconds but I make no excuses. I have learned and try to be better than my old self

Best,
    Rick

we most definietley should be pampering these fish. They enrich our lives and the environment on multiple levels.
    The steelhead have co-evolved with "nature" just fine....... excliuding ONE species....Human Beings. The rapid decline of steelhead is directly related to the activitvities of man.
    Lets enjoy our old hero shots. i am not gonna blast Trey Combes for a 30year old Hero Shot, just like i am not gonna bash the LImit Takers of the past who didnt know better. We know better now.
    .........we know now its better to keep them in the water and limit the stress to the fish. This is NOT Fake News.

Please dont fish Bait on our coastal rivers. The fish are wild and they take flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    Steelies - I take your point and that photo is from 8 years ago and one of the last times I have ever gone for a "hero" shot. Since then I have read much more about impacts to fish out of water and been involved as the CA TU representative for TUs Wild Steelhead Initiative. I cringe some about past handling practices. I will say that my fish in question was out for less than 10 seconds but I make no excuses. I have learned and try to be better than my old self

Best,
    Rick
    Fair enough... I'm not holier than thou either... I respect and appreciate your honesty and forthrightness. Thank You and thanks for caring for the fish.

In many ways, I'm no purist. I fish gear. I harvest and eat hatchery steelhead and salmon and stripers. But I also treat all fisheries and all fish with respect, even hatchery steelhead, stripers, salmon, suckers, or sculpin. I treat them all like they are alive and fragile... in how I target them, where I target them, how I fight them, land them, and how I handle (or don't handle) them, and release them. I'm rarely seen in any of my fish photos as I keep them more for records and data than to share.

I have a friend who is a serious striper guy like myself and he's caught many 40 and 50 lb stripers in our American River. I always take photos of my monsters before putting them back but he rarely takes a photo of his big stripers. "I know what they look like" he says... "I don't need photos..." I have tremendous respect for him in that regard. I still want my photo but I won't compromise the safe release of a fish to get one and that's my line in the sand...

Anyway, I feel bad for calling you out. After I did, I thought a PM might have been a more tactful option.

Thanks for bringing the situation to light and airing it out as now there is mutual understanding and an opportunity for an important conversation to continue without shame or hurt feelings.

CHEERS!
    Mark
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 03-30-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Civility and respect are the hallmarks of the Kiene Forum.
    Happy Easter to all!
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Steelies - I was wondering if someone would call me out and glad you did - it was the right thing to do and was done without any flaming - just making an observation. I can't quite bring myself to change the photo as it brings back such fond memories of one of the most beautiful and memorable steelhead I have caught on a skater no less

Best,
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick J; 03-31-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Today, my contribution to the wild Steelhead is to just watch them on YouTube.

I can only imagine the hours people spend yearly swinging flies for wild winter run Steelhead.

I am so excited that in our lifetime they are finally taking out some dams.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........