Thread: Klamath Swinging Advice

Default Klamath Swinging Advice

Will be wading the Klamath Friday around Hornbrook, as a prelude to a 2-day float trip on other rivers to be determined by the guide tomorrow. I'll have a 10' 7 weight regular rod, and a 11' 8 weight switch with a scandi versi-tip. Was told the water near the rest stop isn't bad. Any advice on where to go around there, and tips on how to swing for fish? E.g., specific flies, which gear to use? Been fly-fishing for 35+ years, but still a rookie swinging for chrome.

Thanks, and will post a report when we return. This is a 50th birthday present, first real steelhead float trip (on days 2 and 3). First day is just dinking around on our own.

Thanks.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

My advice would be that you find someone to cover me at my office and give the trip to me. I really deserve it.

After Collier (which is a decent run) drive up dirt road that parallels freeway on opposite side of river. Several swingable runs along that road...just after freeway turns away from river there is an access road leading to Cottonwood Creek access with a nice run. Swing it like you mean it & good luck!

Andy Marx
    http://wildwatersflyfishing.com/

During the winter the Klamath fishes best when you get the fly nearer the bottom, dangle the fly right in front of them.
    Many of us who fish the Klamath in the winter use two handed rods with sink tips, usually with Skagit head attached to T 8-14 sink tips. As the river clears after a rainy few days, swing your fly just at the edge of the current that is moving at a slow walking pace 3-8 feet deep, at least 18” visibility.
    My favorite winter swing flies are big green butt skunks, 4” red leech patterns, and big blue/purple Spey flies.
    Remember, be discreet when discussing your successes, share your thoughts generally cause it may change your experience the next time you go and find 3 guys in your favorite runs.

Here's my report, better late than never.

Day 0.5, Arrive in Yreka 2:30 am. Go to 24-hr Walmart innebriated. Brother forgot wading boots. Bought Interceptor Tactical Footwear boots, $49.

Day 1, Klamath: 2pm to more after dark than is probably legal: swung stuff from the bank downriver from the rest stop. Took forever to find good water, probably drove on wrong road. Results, one smolt between two fishermen. However, plenty of Lagavulin 16, Budweiser and Coppenhagen snuff. Improved casting with Skagit heads. More fun than freezing my ass off actually fishing and catching nothing. Demonstrated casting superiority vis-a-vis brother. Saw pile of Saskwatch s#!t near vehicle. Inside of vehicle already a lost cause. Finding required items extremely difficult.

Day 2, Rogue above Shady Cove, nymphing from guided drift boat: 2 5-pounders between 2 fishermen. Again, Lagavulin warmed up the day, Cope amped it up when called upon. No more Budweiser, guide supplied Rainier. Drove down to the coast that evening in the dark to tee up next day's fishing. Nearly died following guide for 2.5 hours. Got hammered at bar, "hell I deserve it, I just turned 50." Awesome digital jukebox, got to play plenty of Merle, Johnny, Ozzy and Led Zep. Complimented by old guy at bar for my music selection. Guide questioned whether that was actually something to be proud of. Guide retired early. Walked from bar to hotel with brother at 1am with waders, vests and boots slung over shoulders to avoid DUI and to be able to get dressed before guide taxi'd us back to our car in the am.

Day 3, unnamed Oregon coastal river, nymphing from guided drift boat while hungover: 5 chromers between 2 fishermen, and many dozens of missed hits. Biggest fish topped 10 pounds (caught by me). Of course, brother lost all photos of all my 4 fish except the smallest one which equalled in size his only fish. In other words, no evidence of my clear superiority. Guide's motor failed on a river where everyone motors up and down all day long. Reel handle broke on my 10-pounder, took 1 hour to get new reel. Great day nonetheless. Our constant companions Lagavulin and Cope added to the ambiance. (Note to self: don't by snuff again). Rainier, which guide took to his hotel night the previous night, conspicuously absent from boat. Lagavulin level drops preciptously after passing to guide all day. Stoke was in the air. Miraculously able to drive to some seedy town on I-5 that evening without crashing. Listened to Zappa, Sheik Yerbouti to stay awake. Talking 'bout them tiny cookies.

Day 4, Realizing how absurd our original plan was to go to Happy Bar, drove to Posse Grounds in Redding. 4 fish between us. Brother wins with bigger fish. I include picture of it here, despite it being 1/10 the size of my chromer, the photograph of which, was conveniently destroyed. Guy in my parking lot at work said, "where's the proof?" Once again, listen to Zappa to stay awake on drive back home to Sacramento area.

Day 5 back at work, realized I felt like absolute s#!t and was missing: credit card, driver's license, keys and $350 custom orthotics.

Gotta say, steelhead fishing is great, but I prefer wading to boating. Nothing like that baptismal feeling of being in the water.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0666.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	13992

Name:	IMG_9130.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	13994

Name:	IMG_0674.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	13995
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	13991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0670.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	13993  
    Last edited by Troutsource; 03-23-2018 at 09:55 PM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

A few more photos:
    Attachment 13996
    Attachment 13997
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Wonderful report......nice to be with brother......nice to be only 50.......nice to get to go on a great trip.........thanks.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Sounds like my 50th, except for the going fishing part...

It been a lousy steelhead year pretty much everywhere, glad the the fishing gods smiled on you! Will be spending my 55th on the North Umpqua late this summer, please tell me you left some of your steelhead mojo north of the border...

Fun shit right there...

And the steelhead said...

Look here brother
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Look here brother
    Don't you waste your time on me

Don't waste it, don't waste your time on me

Ohm shanti, ohm shanti, ohm shanti-ohm

Zappa makes everything alright in a circular motion....