Thread: Talk to your representatives about fish habitat!

Default Talk to your representatives about fish habitat!

I know that this suggestion may be a bit like “preaching to the choir” for a lot of folks here, but I still think that we could use a lot more anglers making their voices heard. Complaining here about poor water management (for example) won’t do us any good in terms of changing things for the better. Unfortunately, many of our elected officials are not hearing from us enough and have largely marginalized our concerns. We need to change that. I contact my elected officials regularly with written and verbal communication regarding issues pertaining to the health of our fisheries, and recently got a response that I thought I’d share. I thought to share this as I think it highlights a fairly pervasive attitude that is common among many of our representatives:

Thank you for contacting me about regulation of fisheries. I appreciate hearing from you.

I understand the importance of expanding our fisheries and preserving the ecosystems they support. The depletion of fish stocks has historically caused serious economic harm to California.

Domestic fishing is regulated by the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act. This law acknowledges the importance of preserving fisheries, the dangers posed by overfishing and the necessity to govern the industry while staying mindful of the needs of commercial fishermen. The Magnuson-Stevens act seeks to prevent overfishing, to allow overfished stocks to recover; and to conserve and manage fishery resources.

Low fish populations can cause serious economic harm as the result of Endangered Species Act lawsuits. I would like to see more fish hatcheries to address the problem of overfishing or depletion. We have to tools to stimulate fish population growth, and rather than restricting water flows to meet our agricultural needs, we should invest in more fish hatcheries

This was from district 4 congressman Tom McClintock. The last paragraph kind of says it all as far as how his views on the value of our fisheries. Essentially: “we don’t need habitat or water, just add more hatcheries”. If this concerns you, let him know!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I think Mr. McClintock needs to go soak powerbait for some hatchery fish, catch one, then admire it's "beauty." Then go throw some flies for wild, native fish in a mountain stream, catch one and take a look at that fish. Maybe he'd have different ideas on fish hatcheries after that experience.

Thanks for posting that, Jason! More folks definitely need to voice these opinions to those who have the means to make a difference for our fisheries.

His response comes across to me as being in honest good faith and blissful ignorance.

ignorant because he chooses to be so... he is one of the most arrogant bullies in American politics today

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    His response comes across to me as being in honest good faith and blissful ignorance.
    I would agree that his response does sound very sincere, he’s talented in political speak, but don’t let that fool you. I think Lee is correct that his “ignorance” is more deliberate, based on lots of my own interactions with him. Regardless, my overall reasons for sharing this were:
    1. Our own interests for the health of fisheries, and habitat needs, aren’t being voiced as loudly as those from other interests. If we don’t speak up we can’t hope that will change.
    2. I wanted to let other anglers know that this particular member has been very much in the fish negative category (I’m being polite here), in case some of his constituents on this board were unaware of just how unconcerned he has been with issues pertaining to healthy fisheries. He has been consistent in this regard.
    3. My greater hope was to reach any members here who haven’t yet started communicating with their own representatives (all of them at all levels). I just used my own congressman as an example, but the importance of two way communication and accountability applies to all of course. I think a lot of us are sometimes surprised at the things our elected officials do or say once we dig a bit. I have been browsing around a fair bit on sights like this one lately in order to keep better track of just how they are behaving in office https://www.govtrack.us

JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

These congressmen are already crossing all borders.