Thread: pram advice

Default pram advice

I'm going to be picking up a pram I bought on this forum, 7.5 feet.

I've never had or used one before.

Any owners / ex owners able share tips?

Assume double anchor needed, I plan to use my 36lb minn kotta. Buy a swivel seat.

Any tips?

Is this type craft ok for river use (realize have to get out and wade).

Thanks for any tips, info etc.
    Steve

Steve-
    7.5 feet is pretty short. Often times longer is easier to load because you can prop the boat onto your truck to get some leverage before lifting it. I'd get a box (ice chest) style seat for storage because every inch will count, especially with a big battery in there and rowing around with a couple of anchors. Make sure the seat isn't so tall the oars won't clear your knees. Weight distribution will be a big deal and movable oarlocks will allow you to scoot your seat fore or aft as needed when weight shifts (like when the battery is drained and you lose all the ballast from the weight of the electricity, or when the beer bottles go dry). Have fun!

Try to post a picture of that pram?

What brand/model is it?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Last year I went to Aitutaki with an avid bonefisher by the name of Jim Carver. I just heard that he had drowned while fishing from his pram at Kelsey Bass Ranch last spring. He wasn't a good swimmer, and wasn't wearing a live vest of any kind.

No matter what you do to your pram, think of your personal safety first, and wear a life jacket. There's very little room to spare when it comes to moving around and your own safety comes first.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

36 lb thrust is not much. I'm a big guy; my 36 # electric only pushes me about 3-4 mph in stillwater. I would not even think about going against current in the delta. My pram weighs about 95#; I go 300. My pram does 14 mph with my 5 hp 4 stroke. even with the 4 stroke, I limit my travel to a few miles from port. By the way, I have an older version available for sale, a 12 ft Portabote, for $500

Welcome to the pram world. Your right about the 2 anchors. A pulley on the bow with a cleat to lock the line is a must. You don't want to be leaning out over that end of the boat, flips can and do happen. Another cleat on the transom for the other and you're set.

I use mine in the American River all summer for Stripers and Shad. I've modified a small utility trailer to make it more convenient at the local boat ramps but it's easy enough to car top it to lakes and launch anywhere.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Welcome to the pram world. Your right about the 2 anchors. A pulley on the bow with a cleat to lock the line is a must. You don't want to be leaning out over that end of the boat, flips can and do happen. Another cleat on the transom for the other and you're set.

I use mine in the American River all summer for Stripers and Shad. I've modified a small utility trailer to make it more convenient at the local boat ramps but it's easy enough to car top it to lakes and launch anywhere.

Ed
    Thanks all good advice will post some photos once I pick the pram up and start to figure it out.

Plan to car top given it's short and relatively Light.

Likely mostly Stillwater albeit like useit on the fall.

Anyone any rec on leisure batteries for minn Kota?

Thanks all