Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wading Boots for Hiking

Default Wading Boots for Hiking

Looking for advice...In the spring I want to hike into a Trinity Alps lake. I'm 71 years old and will have to cross four streams that will probably have water flowing to nearly knee level. I can wear hiking boots and change into sandals to cross the streams, but to do that 4 times is tedious. I'm thinking of just hiking in my Dan Bailey breathable hip waders and wading boots. The small lake will be marshy so I'll also need to wade a little in it. The round trip hike is about 4 miles. I need to buy a pair of wading boots that can hold up on a hike like this, and I don't want to "break the bank". Can anyone recommend wading boots for a hike like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutthroat View Post
    Looking for advice...In the spring I want to hike into a Trinity Alps lake. I'm 71 years old and will have to cross four streams that will probably have water flowing to nearly knee level. I can wear hiking boots and change into sandals to cross the streams, but to do that 4 times is tedious. I'm thinking of just hiking in my Dan Bailey breathable hip waders and wading boots. The small lake will be marshy so I'll also need to wade a little in it. The round trip hike is about 4 miles. I need to buy a pair of wading boots that can hold up on a hike like this, and I don't want to "break the bank". Can anyone recommend wading boots for a hike like this?
    Hiking in wading boots and waders for 4 miles sounds awful. But as far as boots go, I'd choose lug soles for this application.

If you don't mind getting wet in the creeks, wear wading boots with socks and neoprene socks if needed to ensure a good fit. Simms also makes a wet wading boot that might also work over a thin pair of waders and would be good to walk in.

[QUOTE=PV_Premier;182363 Simms also makes a wet wading boot that might also work over a thin pair of waders and would be good to walk in.[/QUOTE]

Simms Intruder boots are great for this... Problem is if they're made to wet wade, i.e. if they fit well for the hike, they won't fit over your waders.

Personally I would probably wear either the Simms Guard wading sock or a pair of Chotta Hippies hip waders and my Simms Rip-Rap shoes. But if I felt I needed ankle support I would wear my Orvis Lightweight Hiker wading boots instead of the Rip-Raps. The Wading socks and the Chota hippies feet are like 3-3.5mm neoprene so not too thick. You can roll the socks up to your knee or the Chottas up to your inseam.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutthroat View Post
    Wow, 71 and hiking into the Trinity Alps to fish. You Sir, are my hero. And my goal. My two cents, and that's all it's worth, is that since this is just 2 miles in and out with 4 crossings I'd just wear some regular cross trainer type shoes with no socks and carry my wading gear in a pack. Use a staff for the crossings to mitigate for the regular shoe soles. Best of luck to you.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I’m with Ed. While I haven’t tried many of those mentioned above, I do enough back country trips to really recommend wearing a hiking boot / walking shoe for hiking and a wading boot for wading. The blisters you’ll get on the way in will be worse on the way out, and hiking back in wet wading boots will make it worse still. Let whatever you wore in dry in the sun while you’re fishing and enjoy the entire day, rather than hating the hike out.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. I think I'll call Simms and ask about their Simms guard wading sock and Vapor Hiking/Wading boot. I'll almost certainly get the Simms guard wading sock...and I'll probably either get the Simms Vapor or the Orvis Lightweight Hiking boots. Really appreciate the help.

Try Simms rip wrap boots, I have the pair with felt bottoms. they also make a pair with just rubber soles. They are great for wet wading and you can hike in them pretty comfortably. Good luck, sounds like a great adventure, Mems.
    Don Memmer

I'd go with the "tedious." It is a bit of a hassle, but think of the time it takes to change footwear as a short break in the hiking. Neoprene booties and sandals - or just sandals.

As far as the age thing, I'm the same age as you and I'm rowing American Creek in AK this year. My float plane pilot says I'm just hitting my prime. Part of not getting old is not acting old, in my opinion. I'm looking forward to reading about your trip when you're 80.

Wow!, this has really been a supportive group. Above on 3-6-18 I posted what I intended to buy, but I checked out things a little more and changed my mind. I ordered something from Chota that arrived today. Hybrid 800 Wading/Hiking Boots and Caney Fork Wading/Portage Socks. They are kind of like hip waders, but come only to the knee. They are very light and waterproof and should get me across shallow creeks and into marshy water at the edge of lakes that is not too deep. I hike into alpine lakes every year, but sometimes save some of the hikes with creek crossings until the fall when stream crossings are easier. This year I decided that I'll look for a way to cross them in spring. I think this setup will work for me.

I really need to check out Korkers more, and Simms rip-rap boots. And, John...yeah I agree. We've got to keep active.