Thread: Rio InTouch Scandi 3d

Default Rio InTouch Scandi 3d

Anyone have any experience with this line or similar Scandi-style heads?

I'm looking for a shooting head system for shad fishing in the valley and this looks promising. I like the idea of sinking heads as floating heads often can't get deep enough for shad. I know about the intermediate Skagit heads but I can't stand Skagit style heads as they are too short and you really lose distance compared to a longer head.

Funny you bring it up. I was recently wanting to post about it too for the very same reasons. It’ll be interesting to hear what folks have to say.

have not tried this specific line but see it is floating/hover/intermediate and expect that may not get you the depth you need. A number of manufacturers make these type lines with varying sink rates you may want to check out

I haven’t tried the 3D Scandi lines yet, but I’ve been a big fan of the Scandi body intermediate line with a fast sink ploy leader for shad fishing on the American. Honestly it’s pretty much the line I use about 90% of the time, unless I am fishing with a single hand rod from a boat. The only caveat I would throw in is that in terms of head length and distances I don’t think you gain that much over a Skagit Head. They sure are nicer casting though.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I haven’t tried them yet but was just talking to one of the best casters in town about them. He said there pretty amazing lines, maybe he’ll chime in ?

I'm looking more at the 1/2/3 ips and 2/3/5 ips versions.

I'm aware of the SA versions in the UST but a lot of them only come in larger grain sizes. Guideline is no longer distributed in the US. I'm not aware of Airflo making something similar in the US.

I like that the head is 10-12' longer than both the iFlight and scandi body heads. Should enable competent casters to gain a bit more distance.

Steve Godshall at RB Meiser will make you one in whatever length you want. I don’t know if he’s making 3D but I have his full sink intermediate and it worked great with a type V or VI poly leader to get down on the bottom of the Kenai in 6000CFS flows.
    Robert

A second vote here for Steve’s iSkandit heads. Longer, intermediate sink lines that pair really well with poly leaders. I’ve even thrown a short T-11 tip on, but the physics of lifting a sunken head and heavy tip can be a challenge for us mortal casters.