Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: March Miracle?

Thank god. I know this is a fishing forum but should be one of the most epic powder ski/board days today/tomorrow you will ever see. Cold pow...

Depending on where you are in the western/eastern sierra and at what elevation it was a good 4-7FT of snow over the past 5 days. (between 6k-8k). More weather off and on next 2 weeks as well.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...wpack-53535799

Certain areas 40-45% of "normal". Not where we need to be but there is snow in the forecast for next 2 weeks off and on. Def going to be a contrast of last years spring runoff.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...wpack-53535799

Certain areas 40-45% of "normal". Not where we need to be but there is snow in the forecast for next 2 weeks off and on. Def going to be a contrast of last years spring runoff.
    If we can get back to around 70% of normal by the end of the season, that should be counted as a major win considering how dry December-February were...

I am an optimist and think that the fish will do fine this summer especially if we can get a long, slow melt. Statewide reservoir levels + current snowpack are in astronomically better shape than they were in the depths of the drought 2013-2014.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    If we can get back to around 70% of normal by the end of the season, that should be counted as a major win considering how dry December-February were...

I am an optimist and think that the fish will do fine this summer especially if we can get a long, slow melt. Statewide reservoir levels + current snowpack are in astronomically better shape than they were in the depths of the drought 2013-2014.

Agreed PV_Premier. I'm not worried at all about this spring/summer/fall. We are in year 3 of a rebound following drought years and all of our fisheries should continue to improve. Walker basin for example is highest its ever been this time of the year. Bridgeport is at 83% and Topaz at 85% currently.

In a strange way I enjoyed fishing some of the high water of last spring. I got into a few of the biggest fish I can recall and I know a lot of people were the same. You just adapt and change styles. This year the free stones will be coming into there own much sooner is all.

BTW, the powder at Sugar Bowl last week was insane. (so were the crowds)

Hey CD,

I bet Sugar Bowl was a mad house. Did you take advantage of any finance plan for
    a day at Sugar Bowl with the kiddos? The prices are insane these days and I feel
    priced out of the market.

Get this, my wife's family lives in Germany and my bro in law drives to Switzerland
    and Austria to ski every winter. You can take a bus (a real nice one) from Germany
    and pay only $50-60 Euro for the most incredible skiing one would ever experience.
    Often times that includes lunch.

And some of the resorts, like the below are next to each other, so you can go all day and never
    come close to skiing the entire mountain. Above the treeline too.

Here's where I went some years back: https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/winter/ski-area

Here's a cool video of the above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3UJ2txUCCQ

Eric
    Last edited by EricO; 03-07-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Default Current Water Prognosis in Truckee area

Click-on to www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com. for my take on current snow-pack and related water-content for the spring melt into the local waters in the Truckee area. Go to my current post of 3/7/18.

Spaces available for our Native Sons Tours in the Truckee area...www.cyberfly.com/native-sons-tours/

Frank R. Pisciotta
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 03-07-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Erico- Funny you mentioned Germany. My brother goes pretty often for work and always seems to find time to hit the slopes at one of those spots. I know he sent me a pic on the swiss/austria border I believe...

As of the weather/water I felt a lot more confident after taking a trip over to the eastern sierra the other day. Lots of full reservoirs and a lot of snow on the ground. Plus long term forecast is more rain/snow. Not exactly the season I was hoping for but I'm not worried about fishing this summer from what I see either.

Wow... what else can you say. March has been off the hook. Tracking 10+ feet of snow in sierra. Woke up in Reno with good foot on the ground and big drifts around town. Buddy up in northstar said he is barricaded in his house. A good 30 inches in some spots overnight w/ a foot plus more forecasted today. Central Valley at 75% of normal rainfall as of today after a horrendous start.

Be safe and stay off roads if you can. Can't wait to get out on "A" river.

CD,

Ya, gives me hope for our rivers and reservoirs this summer! A true March Miracle.

I'd love to be barricaded in a house up there......instead of here at work.

Eric

Erico-

I'm definitely feeling more on the side now for this summer/fall. I was getting worried but honestly not anymore. Even if the #'s are inflated some places like Sierra at Tahoe which I goto frequently are over 12 feet of snow for March. Def could see 15 feet+ with the outlook and storm window. Plus April is a month where its not unusual for the sierras to get another 3-4 feet of snow. Who knows what normal is anymore but I'm glad we are coming out of the woods.

I would rather be barricaded doing nothing but watching NCAA tourney and drinking my favorite beverages today. There is always that fishing window though and those crazies at Pyramid.