Thread: Pit River report

Default Pit River report

I fished Pit 3 this morning. Weather was perfect this morning, no snow, no hail, no rain, no wind and fishing wasn't bad either.....until 9am. Temps were down in the 20's but really weren't that bad other than freezing my line to the guides, freezing the line on the spool and freezing the net into odd shapes. Water clarity was typical for the Pit and flows seemed to be up just a tad. I crossed the river in two different places but it was kind of dicey. Other than PG&E I only saw one other vehicle and nobody else fishing. The wind picked up really quick at 11am and made fishing pretty pointless so I bailed early.

I started out right around 7am and had 15 grabs by 9am. Most of those cam before 8am and I never had another after 9am. Fifteen grabs, seven fish hooked and 5 fish landed. Other than two little guys all the fish hooked were 16+. Biggest landed was a solid 18 and two other fish did ldr's after peeling out 20-30 feet of line to the far side of the river.

All fish came on a modified black ap kinda thing in size 12 or 14. I started mixing up bugs after 9am trying to get another grab. I threw big to tiny and eventually moved from the pocket water to a couple of major pools/runs but no love.

Honestly, the temps weren't bad at all and the fishing probably wen't red hot right about 11:15. It was a short but enjoyable trip and I'd head up again if I had the chance.

Thanks Mickey for update. Sounds like your braved the elements. Did you have a buddy or brave it solo? Like you said be careful. Its no joke out there for anybody. I was hoping to make a visit but I decided to fish the upper sac. (hindsight poor choice by me). Going to get wintry up there for the next few weeks. Maybe too little too late but anything is better than nothing.

Nice Mickey...I've been wondering how the Pit has been fishing lately, although it almost always
    fishes pretty good.

My second go to fly on the Pit is an AP...hands down. First go to fly is rubberlegs.

Thanks for the report, glad you got into 'em!

Eric

Right on For spontaneity! Next time I'm In always down for the it this time though (sat) was the Stan....redickiously high but still found em. Thanks for the report
    Ice

Thanks for the report, Mickey.