Thread: Echo Ion XL and Shadow II

Default Echo Ion XL and Shadow II

I recently picked up a used Echo Ion XL, 10' 6 weight, and took it out to the Yuba for its maiden voyage (for me). Even at full retail of $159 this is an incredibly nice rod. Yes, it's probably made in China, but Echo is making some sweet rods in the low end price range. This rod has enough flex to throw an indicator, two flies, and weight, throws a nice tight loop with a long line to gently land a dry fly, and has enough backbone to fish a large streamer in the wind. The 10 foot length makes mending a long line a breeze.

I also picked up the Shadow II 3 weight a while back and it is a great tight line nymphing rod. Very sensitive for staying in contact with your flies.

I'm sold on Echo. Not many rods out there providing this much value.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I recently picked up a used Echo Ion XL, 10' 6 weight, and took it out to the Yuba for its maiden voyage (for me). Even at full retail of $159 this is an incredibly nice rod. Yes, it's probably made in China, but Echo is making some sweet rods in the low end price range. This rod has enough flex to throw an indicator, two flies, and weight, throws a nice tight loop with a long line to gently land a dry fly, and has enough backbone to fish a large streamer in the wind. The 10 foot length makes mending a long line a breeze.

I also picked up the Shadow II 3 weight a while back and it is a great tight line nymphing rod. Very sensitive for staying in contact with your flies.

I'm sold on Echo. Not many rods out there providing this much value.
    Echo makes some great stuff. I had a 10' 7wt 1st generation Ion for awhile. The thing was a rocket launcher for indicator rigs but was too heavy for all day fishing so I sold it. My girlfriend has the 6'2" glass which is a darling small stream rod. I recently picked up an Echo3 6wt switch - haven't fished it much yet but the first few casts were laser beams with a 325gr OPST. For the record I believe that echo makes their rods in Korea.

I own one Sage rod now, but the rest of my quiver is Echo, TFO, and Redington. Works for me and keeps money in my wallet.

I just used an Echo 3, 10", 8 weight for a couple of days, and came away mightily impressed with the rod. Superior in almost every way to my Winston LT, at about half of the price.

Tim Rajeff designs all the Echo rods so that is probably why they cast and preform so well for the price.

Video with Steve.....on Echo rods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyO08-DDwzo
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........