Thread: I know why they're called Sucker Fish

Default I know why they're called Sucker Fish

Was fishing just under/down stream of the Watt bridge today. Swinging an intruder pattern and then saw several silvery objects in front of me, probably around 5-7. At first thought they were pieces of trash but they kept catching the light and then got dull again. They also were long and "fish" shaped. I was convinced they were steelies and tried swinging to them a few times. No luck. Ultimately I was told that they probably were some suckerfish which apparently were all over the bottom part of that run. Anyone else had their heart race when they saw these guys while trying to catch steelhead? Just have to keep getting the fly wet.

I had about a 6lb sucker nearly blow up my Hardy Princess 2 years ago in that tailout. I was fishing for the spring bluebacks, swinging a soft hackle of some sort on my 3/4 trout spey. Te fly was just starting to come to the end of the swing and then BAM, the hardy started screaming and the fish was a runnin'. Sure was a fun fight until I saw the orange belly... So yes, sucker fish do have an appropriate name, and they are thick in that run.

In a long day of fishing with no results, a sucker fish or squawfish will really give you a shock.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

A sucker fish is a great way to keep from getting SKUNKED!!!!
    Troutaholic61