Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new puppy

Default Looking for a new puppy

Might be a stretch but my wife and I are looking for a new companion (fishing buddy for me). We are really interested in finding a Lab puppy, Golden Retriever or a mix of the two. Preferably AKC to insure healthy lineages. If you have pups or know of someone in the Sacramento area, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for the help!

I'm available; still potty trained and promise to catch few fish than you. I won't lick those car windows, either.
    Best to you two in your search. I like the line that JasonB uses with his posts; "Lord help me to be the person my
    dog thinks I am."

Larry S
    Sun Diego

Just a personal recommendation here for Gary. My wife and are both the sorts of people who take the responsibilities of dog ownership very, very seriously; to the point where we don’t feel comfortable leaving our own dogs under the care of just anyone when we travel without them (usually they come with). Gary and his wife are among the few we do feel confident about, and they were great with our dogs when they took care of them for nearly three weeks last summer Anyone looking for a good home for a puppy can rest assured they will be happy and healthy with Gary!

I am happy to hear you guys are getting a dog again!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

many many good dogs in the shelters. Take some time and walk through them. A water dog as a fishing partner? I love labs, but keeping them out of the water can be a challenge. Good luck.

Thats the first thing I thought, fishing and not having my Lab in the water or after a hooked fish.

Best wishes to you finding a new pup. Mine are all old and gray, putting me into your shoes sooner than I would like.

I want to come back as Ed Wahl's dog.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Open to any other breeds? I had wanted a lab and my wife requested hypo allergenic if possible. I ended up with a Wire Haired Pointing Griffon from a breeder in Roseville. Can honestly say he's been a blast. He's fished the Rogue, Klamath, Coastal Rivers, Trinity in winter, loves to ride on a jet sled, super good with my girls 4 and 5 years old. Will swim any river to the point of a fault (he doesn't know his limits yet). He's scouted deer in X5A and hunted quail and pheasant and I'm hoping to get to hunt ducks next winter with him. He'll be one year old next month. Pretty sure the breeder has a spring litter this year too! That's my dog on the sled but not me...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image5.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	13909

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8904.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	13910
    Last edited by Bwag; 02-25-2018 at 07:02 PM.

My last two pups have come from Dustin Retrievers in Sutter. Carl is a real stand up guy and his dogs are fabulous !! I highly recommend them!!!

Thank you for the kind words, Jason! And thanks to everyone else for the suggestions. My wife and I are looking at shelters as well but it's difficult to find a pup that we both feel good about. My best buddy died last year and he was the most wonderful companion I could ask for. A lab/chow mix with quite and interesting mesh of personalities but the lab was definitely the more dominant of his behaviors. I've been around all sorts of different breeds my entire life and labs just do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Might be a stretch but my wife and I are looking for a new companion (fishing buddy for me). We are really interested in finding a Lab puppy, Golden Retriever or a mix of the two. Preferably AKC to insure healthy lineages. If you have pups or know of someone in the Sacramento area, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for the help!
    A couple of thoughts....

First, "Preferably AKC to insure healthy lineages" doesn't insure healthy lineages. In fact, if it's advertised, it almost means the opposite. I have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, and her health testing includes hips, elbows, DM, eyes and thyroid. All of her ancestors going back 7 generations all have the same health testing, and all are champions. The worst thing you can get is a backyard bred puppy with no health testing. Oh, and don't fall for "championship lines" -- that's always BS. Several of my dogs ancestors, one son, and one grandson, have gone to Westminster. Both parents were champions.

Labs are super popular, so there are plenty of super crappy Labs out there. Be careful, and don't be cheap. My Chessie was a $1,500 puppy, but worth every penny. She's 10 and still plays like she's 2.

Rather than a shelter, try a Lab Rescue. You can find the absolute perfect Lab there. Good rescues know their dogs, and can match them up with the perfect owners.