Thread: New CA fishing license fees bill - AB 986

Default New CA fishing license fees bill - AB 986

This is in the works and is just out of committee. It basically gives veterans a break on license fees and allows the rest of the population to buy a license on a fiscal year basis, albeit at a 130% premium.

SEC. 2.
    Section 7149.06 is added to the Fish and Game Code, to read:
    (a) In addition to sport fishing licenses for the periods specified in Section 7149.05, a sport fishing license granting the privilege to take any fish, reptile, or amphibian anywhere in this state for purposes other than profit for the period of 12 consecutive months, beginning on the date specified on the license, shall be issued to both of the following:
    (1) A resident, 16 years of age or older, upon payment of a fee that is equal to 130 percent, rounded to the nearest twenty-five cents ($0.25), of the fee charged to a resident for a calendar-year license under Section 7149.05.
    (2) A nonresident, 16 years of age or older, upon payment of a fee that is equal to 130 percent, rounded to the nearest twenty-five cents ($0.25), of the fee charged to a nonresident for a calendar-year license under Section 7149.05.
    (b) The terms and conditions set forth in Section 7149.05 regarding issuance of California sport fishing license validations shall also apply with respect to sport fishing licenses issued pursuant to this section.
    (c) The commission shall adjust the amount of the fees specified in this section, as necessary, to fully recover, but not exceed, all reasonable administrative and implementation costs of the department and the commission relating to the licenses under this section. Administrative and implementation costs shall include all costs related to the establishment of these licenses.
    (d) This section shall become operative on January 1, 2020.
    (e) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2023, and as of that date is repealed.

Thanks for posting that, Joe! I'm curious though where it says anything about Veterans. Currently, vets who have 50% service connected disability are eligible for a discounted license. So unless that's changing, I don't see how this bill will affect that.

I think active duty military are considered "Residence" of where ever they are fishing.

Some states have free fishing licence for residents over 70.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

There's other text in the bill that gives all veterans a 25% discount and disabled vets a 50% discount. I just posted the part about the 1 year from date of purchase part.
    --Joe

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
    This is in the works and is just out of committee. It basically gives veterans a break on license fees and allows the rest of the population to buy a license on a fiscal year basis, albeit at a 130% premium.

SEC. 2.
    Section 7149.06 is added to the Fish and Game Code, to read:
    (a) In addition to sport fishing licenses for the periods specified in Section 7149.05, a sport fishing license granting the privilege to take any fish, reptile, or amphibian anywhere in this state for purposes other than profit for the period of 12 consecutive months, beginning on the date specified on the license, shall be issued to both of the following:
    (1) A resident, 16 years of age or older, upon payment of a fee that is equal to 130 percent, rounded to the nearest twenty-five cents ($0.25), of the fee charged to a resident for a calendar-year license under Section 7149.05.
    (2) A nonresident, 16 years of age or older, upon payment of a fee that is equal to 130 percent, rounded to the nearest twenty-five cents ($0.25), of the fee charged to a nonresident for a calendar-year license under Section 7149.05.
    (b) The terms and conditions set forth in Section 7149.05 regarding issuance of California sport fishing license validations shall also apply with respect to sport fishing licenses issued pursuant to this section.
    (c) The commission shall adjust the amount of the fees specified in this section, as necessary, to fully recover, but not exceed, all reasonable administrative and implementation costs of the department and the commission relating to the licenses under this section. Administrative and implementation costs shall include all costs related to the establishment of these licenses.
    (d) This section shall become operative on January 1, 2020.
    (e) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2023, and as of that date is repealed.
    How to Buy Fishing License Online https://outdoorchoose.com/get-a-fishing-license/

Default disabledlic fee

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
    There's other text in the bill that gives all veterans a 25% discount and disabled vets a 50% discount. I just posted the part about the 1 year from date of purchase part.
    --Joe
    50% or greater VA rating, cost of basic fishing and hunting lic is $7.50 each now,a 50% discount would be an increase. I buy my lic in Dec. good all year. don't sound good to me. except for discount for all vets.