Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cook Islands - Aitutaki Trip.

I thought about wearing my wading boots but I don't think I'll be close to 50lbs. Five rods, reels, lines, flies, a few clothes (they have laundry service) plus a 11lb roller bag. I'm usually around 38 to 42lbs, even when I go to Baja and that's for 7 to 9 weeks.

OK..let's get your luggage weight down.Firstly,you don't need Boots to wade the Aitutaki lagoon.You can wear Crocs or Simms flips,or even those Dive bootie things if you must.These are also fine for casting off the bow off your Guides skiff.In fact you don't need much of anything,as like C.I.you just walk into the shower with your daily fishing clothes on,and surely one Bonefish fly box is enough for a week,plus a few GT flies...and why five rods? IMHO a couple of Bonefish rods and a GT rod is enough.You're also handicapped from the start with a 5kg.bag.

Dyna ? Real Name ?

I have to agree with most of what you say, but there are areas that I'm glad I had my regular boots on. We hiked almost to the outer reef at Arutanga and that was a bitch stepping between soft sand and coral lined pockets. The outer reef area anywhere is hard and sharp if you're chasing trevally around those bromies, you'll want good boots.

Staying inside the lagoon or on the boat would be fine for a softer lighter shoe or boot. But over on the other side they had warnings about stepping on stonefish around the coral and sand cobble.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Question Stonefish....

Tony,.... I'm assuming that Stonefish fins/spines are venomous. Is that correct??

Jay, I'm not sure I'd want to wear wading boots on the way over as they'd be wet/very uncomfortable on the return flight.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, they might even stink a little.
    I'm taking the boots, not worried about making the weight. My carry on might be a different story.

I use a Simms Wet/Dry bag for any trip where I'm wading. On your last day of fishing rise your boots and socks and put them into the bag. The whole bag is then put into your suit case and no harm is done to your other clothes or gear. When you get home I rinse again and air dry, then wash your regular clothes as usual.
    Tony

TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony that bone fish looks real big!! Awesome report to!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Hi Tony,I was referring to the lagoon proper of course,and I'm not aware of Stonefish in there.They seem to prefer more broken/rocky terrain.In town and the outer reefs are an entirely different proposition.Besides,when you wade any salt water flat you should always walk slowly in a shuffle fashion as this alerts any Rays or other nasties underfoot or in the vicinity.I always take a couple of large Ziplock bags for wet Boots (one spare)....this cuts weight down considerably.
    Best
    Peter Prideaux

Question Bonefish Flies....

Peter,.... Will the same flies/sizes used at Christmas Island work at Aitutaki?? How about the Wabnitz Worm fly???
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Kia Orana Peter,

You're absolutely right about shuffling your feet. We saw numerous rays. The area around town and the hotels definitely had more of a rocky rubble bottom and it would be impossible to see a stonefish just sitting there.

Hope to see you over there some time, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180