Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cook Islands - Aitutaki Trip.

Hey Tony, I just looked at Hawaiian air and they go to tahitii and american samoa. I would have to fly to LA and then go back across the ocean. I will start saving my miles. Don.
    Don Memmer

Just got every thing all together for the trip to Aitutaki. We're looking for one more person to make it an even number, so the odd man/woman doesn't end up paying more. ONE MORE PERSON. Tony, make sure Jim doesn't want to go, before the spot fills up.
    Interested? Give me a call or send me an email. Phone 831 809-4221 cell jaysflies@me.com . email

Tony,

Nice Pictures! What a beautiful place.

What rods and fly lines did you bring down with you? Were there any items that you might have overlooked this go around that you’ll pack for your next trip?

Cujo,

That's a good question and I've been going over it with all my buddys that are going. We do have six going as of now, two per room.

First off, Take a #9 wt. rod. An #8 wt. will work but most of the bones we saw and took were not small. On Christmas Island a #7 wt or #8 wt. would be fine but these fish really put a bend in my rod and I'll start with my #9 again.

The one thing I've been pondering is the line. I used a standard WF floater and it worked okay. But sometimes we got into deeper water and I wanted my line and fly to get down faster before the bone scooted off. I've been thinking of trying either a sink-tip or possibly a full intermediate line this time.

On my big rod (#11 +#12) I used a Full Floating line and this was perfect the whole trip,,,,, except once. We stopped on the way back to the lodge at a spot they called the GT Hole in deep water. Our guide said to let it sink, let it sink more, and then strip like crazy. That floating line just didn't want to sink and I was forced to turn to the dark side and use a spinning rod they had on board.
    One cast with a heavy chrome jig and WHAM! I got hit hard. This one turned out to be a nice Big Eye Jack of about twenty pounds.

So, at this one spot I would have liked a full sink line of about 600 grains with straight 100 lb. leader.

If we go offshore this trip trolling with a fly I'd still use a inking line and hopefully find some wahoo or yellowfin tuna. If there's dorado around then you've got to change to a floater. Uugh, how fast can you change reels and lines while fish are busting around your boat?

There's always something you wish you had brought and forgot, but above all else bring a good camera. This place is like a post card you can't get enough of.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Thank you, Tony!

That was really informative so thanks again for taking the time to write. That is a gorgeous picture! Incredible.

At 23kg weight limit, I can only bring a number of rods, reels and lines. I'm taking all my bone fish flies out of the plastic fly boxes and putting them in zip lock bags. Taking only one change of clothes since they have laundry service. I think my heaviest thing will be my Simms flats sneekers. My carry-on will probably be right at the 4.2kg weight limit. I'm bringing most of my camera equipment. My DSLR Canon 70D for videos and some photo's. Olympus T-4, which can shoot underwater photo's/video's.
    Do you know if I need an electrical adapter, like you do at CI.
    Gotta tie up a few more GT flies an some larger bone fish patterns
    Am I excited????? Hell ya!!!!!

There are tons of us who have been to places Baja, Florida, Belize, and Christmas Island.

I think going to a new place in the tropics is a great idea.

Doesn't sound like numbers of Bonefish but they seem like they are bigger.

Christmas Island is still the best place to go first though...lots of small and medium Bonefish plus some big ones.

Most wading there is knee deep or less on firm, light colored flats.

Here is my basic info on going for Bonefish:

http://www.billkiene.com/fishing/fly...-for-bonefish/

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Jay,

If you're flying Air New Zealand and got the Premium Economy seating your regular checked baggage is 50 lbs. plus you're allowed TWO carry-ons up to 30 lbs. combined ( one of which can be 22 lbs.) plus a handbag or a laptop.

If you got the regular economy seat, checked baggage is the same but you're only allowed one carry-on up to 15 lbs.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Question Luggage Weight Limitations

Tony,.... If I understood the weight limitations for luggage on Air Rarotonga, they're considerably less than that allowed on New Zealand Air. I was considering packing the same weight for the entire trip but after reading your post, I'm wondering how much weight you packed and if you exceeded the limit how you handled it???
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Geez, Darian

I didn't think about Air Rarotonga being the determiner of how much you can take, but you're right. They (Air Raro) spell it out plain and simple. 158 cubic centimeters is 62 inches in size. And 23 Kgs is 50.7 pounds. Those little turbo-props ARE a lot smaller than Air New Zealand's jets.

I never thought about it last trip and like usual I always take too much stuff I never need. But it all adds up and I'm trying to think about what was the heaviest things I took AND needed. Wading boots, definitely the heaviest and gotta have 'um. Two cameras. One DSLR and one water-proof pocket camera. Used them both a lot. Clothes ? didn't need half of what I brought. Flies and fly boxes ? Again, brought way too many. Bonefish flies, didn't loose hardly any. But, when we were targeting trevally around the coral heads and rocks we lost several I would liked to have had back.

The trevally all seemed to go crazy around the coral and liked to dive into the deepest cracks they could find. 20 lb. leader was gone in a blink when targeting them, and you never knew when a real GT would show up and then 80# or 100# was standard.

Hmmmm? I guess if I was struggling with baggage allowance, you could pack your flip-flops and WEAR your wading boots on the plane.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180